PDA

View Full Version : Elusive problem

cobaltburrito
08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi. : )

I've got a problem in my XP box.
Starting a few months ago, my system would hang seemingly randomly.
However, I noticed a pattern when I would use a program such as Bittorent or Windows Media Player is when I would crash.
Sometimes I actually got a BSOD, other times it just hung at whatever was on my screen at the time.
When I did get a BSOD, the stop error was 0x0....D1, in a dll file associated with drivers of my SATA drive. I did a bit of digging around and it seemed that people getting the about the same error were helped by replacing memory. So, I got a motherboard , free from a friend, along with a new processor and also a gig of PC3200 ram.
I swapped out the components, wiped the windows drive and did a fresh install.
Lo and behold it did absolutely nothing, besides changing the source of the D1 stop error to a .dll for my drivers in my wireless nic.
Last night, I replaced my wireless nic and i'm still hanging, although now I sometimes hang directly after the logon screen and I seem to not be able to do as much without it freezing. Strangely, I'm not getting a blue screen now.
Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

System specs:
Microstar MS-6728 mobo
P4 3.0 ghz with HT
1 gig PC3200 ram(Prosys)
D-Link DWL-G520 NIC
MSI ATI Radeon 9550 video card
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit sound card

drcspy
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
sounds like you've replaced the major components except the harddrive.....maybe you should run a manufacturers diagnostic on it ?

cobaltburrito
08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Well, I actually disconnected the SATA drive and there was no change.
But the reason I don't think it is a HD problem is because the source of the crashes changed from the SATA drivers to a different driver and that program is not on the SATA drive.
I'm definetly open to any possiblity at this point though and I'll try your suggestion.

drcspy
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
ummm...perhaps I've misunderstood you but how can you have a 'windows' problem with the drive disconnected... ?....

and yes the mfgs site should have diagnostic tools for download

cobaltburrito
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Windows is not on my SATA drive, it's on one of my two IDE drives.
Sorry for the misunderstanding mate.

drcspy
08-08-2006, 04:21 PM
lol no worries.........ah what make of drive are the ide ?

cobaltburrito
09-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Both of them are Western Digital.
I'm thinking that it is either a hard drive problem, or a software problem(not Windows)
I've replaced every other major component besides the drives.

SolMiester
09-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Are you running the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset?, since you re-installed windows XP?

Greg
09-08-2006, 12:48 PM
XP version? Fully updated?

cobaltburrito
09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Actually, today I wiped both of my IDE hard drives, moving some stuff to the SATA drive and disconnected the SATA drive.
I reinstalled windows, and everything seems to be going well.
I'm in the process of updating everything, but I think I may have solved the problem.
The real test will be hooking the SATA drive back up and seeing if that'll jive.