PDA

View Full Version : Unable to setup Xtra ADSL modem with USB port

DuyNZ
06-08-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't know why I cannot setup Xtra ADSL modem with USB port. I follow the introduction in the CD which Xtra was provided me when I apply it but when I got the last step that I need to type username and password and press OK, it shows up "Unable to connect". I already use it with Ethernet but I want to setup USB to use for another computer. Please help me with it. I'm using Window XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

stumagoo
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
a better suggestion may be to get a switch and network your pc's together. A good friend of mine works for a local computer shop and has told me in the past that the usb ports on xtras modems is really dodgy. Now before everyone jumps up and says otherwise its just what I have been told and may easily be untrue. What I do believe is true, is the speed of the data transfer of a usb port is less than that of your ethernet connections. I believe a base ethernet is 10/100 and most modern boards even support 1 gig. a switch should set you back about $50 and provides instant internet access to anyone who plugs in (even if they cant see other computers on the network).

Please anyone who knows me to be wrong here I am always wanting to learn.

Billy T
06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
It may be that you can't use Ethernet and USB simultaneously on that modem.

Regardless, USB is not a good adsl connection system, so buy a cheap ethernet switch, plug the modem etyhernet connection into that and share the connection that way.

It will be much more reliable.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Edit: Beaten to the post, shouldn't have stopped to exchange suggestive innuendos with Mrs T. :blush:

linw
06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Yep, you SHOULD be able to get the USB port going but most network people would advise against it. Like the others said, a switch is going to give you much less grief.

Presume you got the username and pwd correct!! username.xadsl@xtra.co.nz.

DuyNZ
07-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Thank you for you advice. I think I don't want to use USB port anymore. But I don't know how Ethernet Switch look like and where can I get it cheapest. Can you show me,please.

snoopy
07-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Not sure where you are, DSE has them but they are not cheap there, here's a selection

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html#g41

pctek
07-08-2006, 09:05 AM
You'll need to put a network card in the PC if it doesn't have one already. Then buy a hub. Or sell the 1 port ADSL modem and buy a 4 port instead. Easier.

dzina
07-08-2006, 09:56 AM
You'll need to put a network card in the PC if it doesn't have one already. Then buy a hub.

Wow just how deep south are you PCTEK? Anyone recommending a hub needs to turn up the heat and thaw out from the perma frost.

DuyNZ - get a switch, its the hands down best solution.

lance4k
07-08-2006, 12:29 PM
ring up xtra. maybe the usb port on the xtra modem is faulty. get them to give u a new modem.

Murray P
07-08-2006, 02:07 PM
ring up xtra. maybe the usb port on the xtra modem is faulty. get them to give u a new modem.

Quite possible, those things are crap. Their USB wireless cards are also crap.

Notice a pattern?

pctek
07-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Wow just how deep south are you PCTEK? Anyone recommending a hub needs to turn up the heat and thaw out from the perma frost.

DuyNZ - get a switch, its the hands down best solution.
Its overkill for hooking up an ADSL modem. he wants 2 PCs to use the internet not run his own business network.

DuyNZ
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Thank you for all your help. I should buy a switch to use it but at first I need money to buy :)

quarry
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't know why I cannot setup Xtra ADSL modem with USB port. I follow the introduction in the CD which Xtra was provided me when I apply it but when I got the last step that I need to type username and password and press OK, it shows up "Unable to connect". I already use it with Ethernet but I want to setup USB to use for another computer. Please help me with it. I'm using Window XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

Possibly the problem is that you can only use the setup once, as you already have done. Call xtra for help on how to do it manually. I'm too tired to explain all in detail, but this happened to my client. I used 10.1.1.1 in the browser, login - admin, password - admin. then type user name etc. in other words don't use the CD.

drcspy
08-08-2006, 04:13 AM
well yes you CAN definitely use the xtra modem on the two pc's at the same time I know this I've done it plenty of times..........you should NOT need to go buy any thing at all........you CANT use 10.1.1.1 to log in to the modem from a usb connectoin it's 10.1.1.2.......and logging in is impossible without the usb drivers set up in the system.........check device manager for errors in your usb devices when you have the modem plugged in........also check your firewall aint blocking it..........cant see why you should spend ANY money at all to get this working........it's seems silly to buy network cards/hubs etc when you already have all the hardware you should need......

drcspy
08-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Possibly the problem is that you can only use the setup once, as you already have done. Call xtra for help on how to do it manually. I'm too tired to explain all in detail, but this happened to my client. I used 10.1.1.1 in the browser, login - admin, password - admin. then type user name etc. in other words don't use the CD.

I'm sorry but I dont comprehend how someone with a 'client' and this tends to suggest to me a professional tech doesn't know that you cant loginto the modem on usb using 10.1.1.1 and that you can 'only use the setup once' and 'dont use the cd' ......how are you gonna setup the usb drivers for this modem without using the cd ?........ this just doesn't make sense......

Heather J
08-08-2006, 07:35 AM
I have both a etheral and USB connection on our DSL 302G modem from Xtra. I got to the same stage as you then struck the same problem. I contacted Xtra, they agreed I was able to set up 2 connections and gave me the following instructions.

Open Outlook Express.

Select the Tools menu and then select Accounts.

On the Internet Accounts page select the Mail tab at the top and then select the Account name for your Xtra email. In this example it is pop3.xtra.co.nz.

Click onto the Connection tab.

Check that Always connect to this Account Using is ticked and select Local Area Network from the list.

Click the OK button.

Click the OK button on the Internet Options page.

Close Outlook Express.

Open Internet Explorer.

Select the Tools menu and select Internet Options.

Select the Connections tab and select Never dial a connection.

Click the OK button.

Close Internet Explorer.

I think I then went back to Outlook Express and a pop up box asked me for my email address and password, which I entered and got connected.

I hope this helps

Billy T
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't doubt that it can be made to work, but at the end of all that you will still have a flaky USB connection for one computer that will probably be out-performed by the ethernet connection. I went down the same path some years ago and it was an unmitigated disaster.

Long term, it's not about what you can make it do, but rather it's about employing the best solution for a reliable connection operating at the maximum speed that your service provider can supply at any given time.

About $70 gets you a switch, while for not much more you can buy a router/switch and have the benefit of a hardware firewall as well.

Free modems do not necessarily deliver the best results and can be a false economy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

drcspy
08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
These modems DO have this functionality and it should be very simple to setup.

heather: handy stuff but you still need to have the usb drivers installed etc for this to work. The issue is that they HAVEN'T gotten the connection setup yet.....the computer wont even 'see' the modem.

as for usb connections for adsl being 'flakey/unreliable' etc well I've yet to experience that myself and i'm no novice