PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive failure

Nyuuji
06-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Friend has asked me to look at his compaq lappy (not that old).

After the "compaq splash screen", get just a black screen and windows wont boot up, hard drive just makes a beep sound, then ckickedy click shaka shaka, then back to beep after a few secs, repeat ad nausaem. Cant even get safe mode.

Tried booting from recovery disc, but it freezes when loading.

Got into BIOS and ran a hard drive test using inbuilt tester, which came up with error/faulty drive.

Booted with Maxtor Maxblast boot cd, and the 90 sec test on that would not finish, just froze up.

Can I safely tell my mate his hard drive is puckarooed, or is there another test i should do?

Any help appreciated.

PS. Also tried a boot from Mepis live cd, which failed to completely boot, but which came up with errrors at start...
"Buffer I/O error on device hda logical block 0"

Nyuuji
06-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Currently booted into Knoppix 4.0

Is there a hard drive tester in this version?

Same as the maxtor cd, it freezes when trying to access hda1

gibler
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I guess there is smartctl (http://www.captain.at/howto-linux-smartmontools-smartctl.php) on Knoppix.

Sounds to me like the drive has had it. Unless you want the data back, you could try a low level format... but I would have decalred it dead by now and be finding a replacement.

Nyuuji
06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for input gibler, just wanted to hear another opinion.

I've chucked another hard drive in and loading OS now, seems to be going fine so far...

He will just have to stump up for a replacement drive.