PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card "failing to draw"

The Salmon Thief
06-08-2006, 08:42 AM
I recently reformatted my HDD/reinstalled Windows, and after installing all the drivers for everything and latest driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon X700 card and playing Guild Wars for about 5 minutes, it garbles all audio, closes intself, I get a black screen and have to force restart. Upon the next boot, Windows says that the device ATI Radeon Mobility X700 failed to draw a requested object, or something like that.

So what's the problem here? Outside of reinstalling the driver (which I've done), I don't know what to do. :horrified

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Install DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en)

Either the one where u have to stay online to download the rest of it, or the standalone install file, which doesnt require staying online, once u download it.

The Salmon Thief
06-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Installed DirectX 9.0c, rebooted, started up Guild Wars, and about 2 minutes in my computer just turns off, none of the garbling or freezing from before... when I turn it on again, after BIOS thing I get a BSOD with:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7C7A640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

:stare:

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
That stop error could be a conflict between something, a driver, or a boot sector virus according to the MS site (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103)

You didnt install the video drivers from MS / Windowsupdate did you??

Did u install the drivers from the ATI site / CD?

Does it give u the name of a file on this stop error at all?

Also, u havent got the virus boot option enabled in the BIOS have u?? If u have disable it.

The Salmon Thief
06-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I installed the graphics driver via the Catalyst thing that covers all Mobility Radeon graphics cards from ATI's site. No, didn't give me a file name, and no, I haven't got virus boot on.

Jen
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
... and about 2 minutes in my computer just turns off, none of the garbling or freezing from before... Try seeing if Windows gives a more detailed error message by stopping Windows from automatically restarting on STOP errors. To do this, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > click Settings under Startup And Recovery > remove the tick beside Automatically Restart.

Another place to look for error messages is in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event log viewer.

The Salmon Thief
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I played a different game for a change to see if the same thing happened, and though it took longer (I'm guessing because of less intense graphics), same result: garbled audio, black screen, force shutdown. After Windows started up again I checked the even log viewer... nothing of interest.

Durr...

Trev
06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Not getting to hot ???

Trevor :)

The Salmon Thief
06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
It shouldn't be, I've had overheating problems in the past, but usually they mae themsevles known quite awhile after I start doing something strenuous (like running a game, etc), and I've sort of solved them by taking the bottom plate off my laptop and propping it up on stuff for better air flow... I'm pretty sure that's not the problem here.

stumagoo
06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
GUILDWARS is very gfx intensive even if it dont look like it is. It must be something with the way they have written it.

If you are running catalyst drivers are they the ones from guru?? and are you oc'ing your card. if you are drop it back some and see if that helps.

after checking google I came up wwith this thread (not sure if I am allowed to link to it so remove it if you wish)
http://www.newsbackup.com/about356972.html

it says effectively check you chipset drivers for you ide controllers.

The Salmon Thief
07-08-2006, 04:54 AM
...I've been able to run Half-Life 2 on this computer before, and that's one of the most graphically demanding games ever... I don't think it's the game that's the problem, because with all 3 that I've tried the same thing has happened.

Catalyst drivers are from ATI's website. No I'm not overclocking anything.

And I don't think the viaide.sys thing is the problem, because the computer boots fine most times, it was just that one time it displayed the 7B stop.

stumagoo
07-08-2006, 06:58 PM
my final suggestion then and this is going to sound really weird I know...

I had a memory address conflict on 1 game between the gfx card and the sound card. It occured after a driver update on both and I found I had to roll back the sound drivers to fix it. It only occured at a very specific point in the game and with 1 sound only but it was like clockwork and rebooted the system everytime without fail. may or maynot be your problem but its all I can think of at the moment