PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network keeps 'disconnecting'

caffy
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Have a network here that has 4 'computers' connected to the wireless router (D-link), to the ADSL modem(also D-link).

Laptop #1 and the xbox360 are connected to the router via network cables, and laptop #2 (mine) and a computer are connected through wireless networking.

Laptop #1 and xbox360 are always connected to the network, without it 'stopping' working.

Laptop#2 and computer are always having difficulties staying connected to the network. By this, I mean we could be on the internet surfing then it stops working and you have to repair the network for it to get going again. Sometimes the repair does not work (especially for the computer). It can stop working again within a few mins. It happens randomly, not at any set time.

Laptop #2 is within 2 metres of the wireless router (in the same room) with excellent signal strength, and the computer is in two rooms away, with Very Good signal strength.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to find out the cause of this problem, and how to solve it. It's driving us crazy being disconnected from the network every few minutes, especially when you're trying to have a conversation on MSN or surfing the internet.

Thanks in advance
caffy

caffy
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I also wonder if it's something to do with interference? If so, what can I look at, for the cause of this?

CYaBro
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey Caffy!

You wouldn't have a cordless phone near by would you??!! Probably not aye.
On your laptop or the wireless PC can you pick up any other wireless networks around? They might be causing the interference.
On the wireless router you could try changing the channel that the wireless network is on. I think D-Link ones default to channel 6 so try changing to 1 or 11 (or whatever the highest setting is). Whatever it is on try it on another channel that is as far away from the current setting as possible.

chatoyer
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Just listening to Leo Laporte's KFI podcast and he's having similar problems. He reckons his neighbour is running one the new 11n MIMO routers which, according to Leo, can flood the spectrum. Just a thought.

caffy
05-08-2006, 09:56 PM
There's another wireless network around yeah.
Our wireless network is on channel 6. The other network that I can see is on channel 11.

So does this mean I should change our network to 1? And how do I do this?

chatoyer
06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
You should be able to change the channel in your router setup. Should tell you how to do it in the manual, or do a google search for your particular router.

CYaBro
07-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Yea I would set yours to Channel 1.
You need to go into the wireless routers web setup to change it. While you are in there make sure you have encryption enabled or at least MAC address filtering turned on so no one else can access your network & your internet connection!

Helper123
09-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Check this out.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Wireless-Networking-questions-answered.html

I had same problem. Works fine now.

caffy
31-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Yea I would set yours to Channel 1.
You need to go into the wireless routers web setup to change it. While you are in there make sure you have encryption enabled or at least MAC address filtering turned on so no one else can access your network & your internet connection!

Had a friend come over last night to reset and change the channel (I forgot the password, d`oh!). Anyway it's now on Channel 1, and still disconnecting - perhaps a bit more frequently now!

I will now try the website provided by someone.

Chris Keall
31-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I had a similar problem with a Netgear router that constantly disconnected. Netgear recommended I upgraded the driver, and it's (mostly) behaved since. When in doubt, upgrade the driver.

Pete O'Neil
31-08-2006, 02:16 PM
The router could possibly be overheating or have another problem that causes it to reset. This wouldn't be so noticable on the wired clients as their network connection wouldnt fail, but would be noticable on wireless clients are they would lose their connection to the internet.

Most likely its an interferance problem, which can be caused by other networks or devices that opperate on the same frequency (2.4GHz). Devices such as microwaves and cordless phones are the main culperates.

Seeing as your problem got worse when you change channel it would suggest that other networks are atleast partially responisable for your problem. Try all the channels to see if any offer better performance. The majority of modern AP's have the ability not to broadcast their SSID, so there may be more network in your area you are unaware of.

Chris01
11-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post, and I hope that someone can help.

Ok, on my home network "HOME1" i have 5 Computers.

I am running a D-Link G604T.

HP1 is a HP Desktop, XP Pro, Connected WIRED to the Router.
HP2 is a HP Notebook, XP Home, Connected WIRELESSLY to Router.
HP3 is a HP Notebook, XP Pro, Connected WIRELESSLY to Router.
SONY1 is a SONY Notebook, VISTA Home Premium, Connected WIRELESSLY to the Router.
AMD1, is a AMD Desktop (With a Dlink Wireless Network Card), XP Pro, Connected Wirelessly to the Router.

So all Computers besides HP1 is WIRELESS.

HP1, HP2 and SONY1 Connects and stays connected.

HP3 and AMD Connects, but always disconnects then reconnects right away back to the Network.

HP3 has a Intel Wireless Network Card (Internal) in the Notebook. AMD1 has a DLINK Wireless Network Card installed inside the computer.

Now, I have put the working Notebooks, SONY1 where AMD1 and HP3 is, and it never looses the connection.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

I have turned SONY1 and HP2 OFF, to test if the router can only have 2 computers connected at a time, and this makes no difference?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.