PDA

View Full Version : computer won't start

mark c
05-08-2006, 10:38 AM
The green power light comes on on the box, the BIOS beeps like it alwasy does. The CD light comes on then the HD red light but nothing (totally black) comes up on the screen. I have swapped a known good monitor onto it and the same results. The green power light comes onto the monitor then goes to orange.

Compucon Intell 733mghz processor. 64 megs sdram. Can't recall the mobo. Onboard video and sound. 10 gig seagate drive (yes an old computer)

I've tried every trick I know, unplugging everything, putting it back, trying with the reset button, simply turning off, waitng and trying again, no change.

This is beyond my computer skills. I'm guessing it's a video thing, and no I don't have a card I can install to bypass the onboard. The CD light stays on so it could be somehow 'jamming' at trying the CD in boot up.

Any ideas much appreciatted. Cheers...............m

rob_on_guitar
05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I know the symptoms are different but maybe this helps....

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=70872

mark c
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Tried that, no dice. Thanks anyway. Er, that is the button on the outside of the box right?

Myth
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Definitely sounds like the onboard video.
You will need to find another card (I assume your computer has at least one spare PCI slot?). Maybe even AGP.
Find a cheap card off TradeMe with the applicable slot (PCI or AGP) and throw that in. Or ask around.. someone mght have one.
Once installed, if it works you will at least get to see BIOS where you can set up Graphics to use PCI/AGP first

Note, you are looking for PCI.... NOT PCI-e

Sweep
05-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Have you tried removing the power and IDE cables from the CDROM drive then rebooting?

mark c
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Tazz and Sweep, I'll try the disconnection first. :thumbs:

mark c
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Disconnection didn't give any results, same symptons. Iv'e had this prob before with onboard video clapping out, I guess a video card in the toolbox is a good idea. Will have a look around. Thanks anyway. Cheers......m