PDA

View Full Version : Super Slow Computer & Broadband

DanielLittlewood
05-08-2006, 09:34 AM
last night i got my broadband connected up with Xtra. i have started downloading things and it seems to work fine.however the plan that i am on says up to 50x faster than dialup however it seldomly passing about 4x faster.i tried it on peak and off peak with no difference.is there anything on my computer that i cn upgrade to make it faster. I have 512MB ram and 2Gig CPU but it is running sooooooo slow now. it used to be really fast but not now. I regularyu update things like AVG and do scans and defrag but it isnt't helping. please help!!!!

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Could be spyware.

Have u scanned for spyware recently?

maccrazy
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Your computer is easily new enough not to be the cause of the problem. Have you done the Jetstream (www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/1MB.html) speed test?

There are two possibilities:

1) Your exchange is more overloaded than average - though even heavily loaded exchanges tend to reach 3.5MBit during off peak times, which makes me think the following is more likely:
2) The server you are downloading from is slow. There are a large number of web site owners who try and save a few $$$ buying budget web hosting, and as a result, heavy overselling by the host means slower download speeds than normal.

pctek
05-08-2006, 10:03 AM
There are two possibilities:

1) Your exchange is more overloaded than average - though even heavily loaded exchanges tend to reach 3.5MBit during off peak times, which makes me think the following is more likely:

Or its like my exchange - completely incapable of ever reaching 3.5. Or even 2, or 1.

Shortcircuit
05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
You could also try rebooting your router... just switch it off using the power button on the router for a minute then back on. It will take a few minutes to connect back up, so don't be surprised if you get a 'page not found' message or two.

Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to explain it, but basicly it will reconnect you to Xtra, give you a new IP address and often I think 're-route' your connection through less congested 'lines'.

If it's your local exchange that's overloaded I doubt that you'll see any improvement... there's only so many connections that can plug into an exchange at once without things slowing down.

pcuser42
05-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Don't go with Xtra in the first place. Go with ihug. :D

Battleneter
05-08-2006, 12:28 PM
As maccrazy pointed out run a speed test.

You have not stated what you are downloading and from where, which means there is no way to judge if you are downloading from a fast source, for all we know you are using Kazaa.

Random guessing about spyware and exchange issues are just that, random guessing without this information.

pctek
05-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Don't go with Xtra in the first place. Go with ihug. :D
And if its the exchange that can't cope it will never make any difference regardless of which ISP is used.

stumagoo
06-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I would agree with the exchange not coping argument except I had the same issues with xtra. infact for over a year my connection got worse and worse. I was informed it was the wiring in my house and spyware and all the other usual stuff untill one night I got a reconnectin forced on me by xtra(another issue I have) and for 4 days I had the full speed I was paying for. I saved a copy of my router logs and a listing of timesd and transfer speeds from telecoms own speed test site and fowarded it to their IT dept. I was then informed that I had been correct, it was not my system, infact it was the echange being overloaded. it was strange however that my speeds stayed at full speed untill the next reconnection forced on me by xtra. I finally spat the dummy with them pulled my $250 landline bill with them and kept only my base line. transfered cell to vodaphone and tolls and internet connection to Ihug.
once telecom actually released my connection to Ihug my speed went right to what I wanted over night and has stayed there eversince.

a point worth noting also telecom kept my connection live for 1 week after rollover (thats 3 weeks after I rang Ihug and organised a changeover) they then procceded to terminate my adsl connection with them but kept my email going for the remainder of that month charging me for the full connecton fee stating that they had no ability to terminate between rollover dates....LOL.

In the end telecom are BS and I will not use them. the only down side is no matter who you are with telecom still own all the international gateways out of NZ and while unbundleing the loop gives other ISp's acces to our homes we still have to go through telecom to get overseas and thats where non telecm customers are now targeted heavily. If you dont beleive me contact a telstra cable techy

dvm
06-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Slightly off the subject: -

Query: Having just signed up for Clears PDQ broadband will I get downloads as a continuous stream (if thatís the right terminology)? My dialup connection wouldnít be so bad if only it always downloaded at the rated speed instead of the stop start affair that it presently does. Iím in a rural (Nelson) area and a fair distance from an old exchange so I canít expect too much until upgrading takes place (Yeah Right).

DanielLittlewood
06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
hey guys i was downloading from lime wire struggling for 7kb tried reseting my router and it made no difference. ive scanned my computer with AVG ad aware and spybot a disk cleanup and a defrag and still no difference. However i had plugged the moden into the jackpoint in my room which was added from the one in the other bedroom. and the onew in the other bedroom comes off the original one in the loungue. i ran a long CAT5 cable from the original jack point in the loungue last night and even when it was on peak it was a little bit faster now once im on off peak time i can get limewire in excess of 50kbps. So i think it was quality of all the extra lines installed in our house.it is fixed now. YAY!!!thank you for the ideasa and suggestions
cheers