PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive help.

Mantis
05-08-2006, 12:08 AM
I am wanting to get a external 3.5" hardrive enclosure.

I am needing a enclosure that has both usb2.0 and firewire.

I am finding it hard to find any info about what is the best chipset to go for... The enclosure will mostly be connected by firewire and I have read that the oxford chipsets are pretty stable.

Does anyone know what chipsets are good for external enclosures? or can anyone recommend a good external enclosure that has firewire and usb?

Thanks as always.

M.

chatoyer
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I use a NexStar NST-350UF and it works fine under USB (which is a bit more flaky overall than firewire, from what I understand). 3.5" drives are a very tight fit, and there is no fan or vents, so if you plan on having it turned on all the time, you might want to look elsewhere.

Also have a 3.5" Dick Smith model that does firewire and USB and it does have a fan. Larger, a little more roomy, and have not had too many problems with it.

Generally, my problems with external USB drives tend to centre around my laptop getting confused and fussy with all the USB peripherals being used through a powered USB2 hub. Usually resolved with a restart.

EX-WESTY
06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I bought a Welland 3.5" aluminum enclosure a month or two back. It has USB 2 and Firewire connectors on it. The USB 2 seems more stable to me but it works a treat. PB Technologies was where I got it from. My mistake at the time was not buying a Sata drive and enclosure rather than the IDE.

Misty
06-08-2006, 06:30 PM
no fan or vents, so if you plan on having it turned on all the time, you might want to look elsewhere.
Recent discussion on this forum identified that fan not all that important. However aluminium is a good idea !
Misty :2cents: