PDA

View Full Version : Broadband - "jackpoints" query

Pyropete
04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Hello again,

My parents are thinking about getting "broadband" at their place in Ashburton and want me to look into it for them.

I am currently looking into the installation issue at their place - whether to have the $99 one or the more expensive one where they wire it up for you. As they are both retired and have low income, they want it as cheap as possible. The sites say they must have the more expensive install option if they have 5 or more jackpoints in the house. This raises two points:

1 - They have got four jackpoints, and another phone in the garage. This phone is an old type (without the new jackpoint) but they want to keep a phone out there. Dad says he could take it off the wall and fit a jackpoint there but would that work?

2 - If the above works, that makes 5 jackpoints. Does this then mean they have to go the expensive install route or is that just a way of making money?

Well, that is about all I need to ask at the moment - appreciate it if someone knows any answers to these.

Ta,

Pete

bob_doe_nz
05-08-2006, 12:01 AM
5 is the maximum they recommend.

I have 5 phone line jacks in my house all using the same line/net connection. With the net connected to the other computers via ethernet.

All I have done is install Line Filters in each jack with dual ADSL/Phone filter on the ADSL line. Around $10 + GST per filter

No problems here. Net's slow but thats TC and the local exchange for ya!

If you have more than that, they (the Telco's) recommend a second line which is dedicated to just net access, though as you say your Parents are retired with a limited budget.

So this may not be the way to go.

Pyropete
05-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks for that - I was wondering if that was the case. I have 5 points here, but 2 are not used and 1 is only used for my BB connection. The parents are looking at using TC mainly because they are already using them for their dialup and they use them for their tolls - they seem happy and that's fine by me. They also get a "free" RTA1320 if they sign up during August.

On a side note - I have noticed that my one (RTA1320 through Orcon) runs really hot. I asked Orcon about that but they just said that some do that and not to worry. I have used three (of a different brand) at work and they all run with virtually no heat output. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed that?????

Anyway, all I need to know now is the "old" phone issue.

Pete

Siani
05-08-2006, 01:52 AM
The old type connections are easy enough to rewire with a new one. I did mine! *grin*
If the old phone is a plug-in type, with the prongs, you can get an adapter for the jack point instead, from DSE or somewhere, and either way, just get an old pushbutton phone to plug in there. Then you can add a filter.

pctek
05-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I have 5 points here, but 2 are not used and 1 is only used for my BB connection.

Anyway, all I need to know now is the "old" phone issue.

Pete
Don't worry about it. Just plug in a filter to each of the jackpoints with a phone in it and you're away. No problem.

FoxyMX
05-08-2006, 10:33 AM
2 - If the above works, that makes 5 jackpoints. Does this then mean they have to go the expensive install route or is that just a way of making money?But do all those jackpoints have a phone plugged in them? If not, then you don't need a full install. When your parents want to use a phone in another jackpoint they just need to ensure they plug it into a filter first.

As for the phone in the garage, it does need to be plugged into a filter so it needs to be converted to a jackpoint.

Edit: Hmm... think I should have refreshed the tab as pctek has said virtually the same thing. :blush:

Myth
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
By 'old phone issue' do you mean old jackpoints, or the old 3-wire system?
If you mean the old 3-wire system, you are going to get some in here saying you need to rewire to the newer 2-wire system for broadband. Thats bullshyte.
I have a 3-wire system here, I even connected another jackpoint to it. When the Telecom tech came a few months later (we were having connection issues, turned out to be the exchange) he said the wiring was perfect (other than the sky connection which we didn't use so therefore I hadn't touched).

Pyropete
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey, thanks for the feedback guys/gals - that is just the info I was after. The old phone in the garage is the old "permanently wired" type without any sort of jackpoint (except the green thing it wires into). Dad seems pretty confident that he can rewire it, so if that works...

The post by Tazz also brings up something I forgot to mention - they have Sky which is one of the phone jacks, but they don't use the connection there (I don't have Sky so don't know what it is for) - do they need a filter on that jackpoint or is it only if they use Sky to book movies or stuff?

Cheers,

Pete

pheonix
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
The rule is pete, if you have something plugged into a jackpoint, then it must go via a filter. (apart from the ADSL connection to the modem/router).

If there is nothing plugged into the jackpoint, there is no need for the filter.

Hope that helps

Graham L
05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Sky would have a "telephone" type modem. So you'd need to use a filter with it. But if it's never used ...

You only need as many filters as telephones: if moving a phone, move its filter with it.

Trev
05-08-2006, 05:41 PM
If you go here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44d420dc04d8b3ca2740c0a87f990742/Product/View/XH7556) and scroll to bottom of page you can download a filter manual which shows you how to set them up.

Trevor :)

coldot
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
The real issue is the load the phones put on the line. Telepermitted phones often show the RN - a number which is an indication of the load. Older phones are often higher RN (but not marked and not Telepermitted!) You don't need a filter on an unused jack point where (of course) there's no load. I have had two phones doubled off one filter with no noticeable degradation. I suggest you replace any older phones especially if they have mechanical bells and dials. Get Warehouse replacements at 19.95 so long as they have RN of 1 or less. (I've seen some with RN 0.5) Add up your RNs and hope the total is 5 or less. If your total RN is too high, maybe consider getting 2 or 3 cordless DECT phones where only the 'master' unit actually connects across the line.
Cheers.

Pyropete
05-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the answers I have had, and thanks also Coldot - had no idea about any of that... will have to check that out sometime.

Based on the information I have gleaned from these answers, I can now make a more informed decision on how to proceed with this.

Thanks again,

Pete

TideMan
05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Do you really need a filter in each jackpoint?
A few years ago, I got a bloke to do the broadband connection and some wiring for me and he put one filter in the primary phone (i.e., the one connected directly to the street) and said that will do for all the others as well. And it works!!

Safari
05-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Do you really need a filter in each jackpoint?
A few years ago, I got a bloke to do the broadband connection and some wiring for me and he put one filter in the primary phone (i.e., the one connected directly to the street) and said that will do for all the others as well. And it works!!

Obviously. With that type of connection all phone connections are being filtered by that one filter and there is a dedicated unfiltered line for ADSL

sinndisco
05-08-2006, 11:52 PM
The easiest way is to put a filter on the line anywhere before the first jackpoint and run another unfiltered line from there to your PC. That way you only need one filter and you can have as many jackpoints/phones as you like as long as you don't exceed the ringing quota.