PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! Logon - Ghost problem.....

EX-WESTY
04-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys

I'm trying to upgrade a harddrive on my machine to a larger one but I'm having trouble moving the operating system over sucessfully.

XP Professional on NTFS partitions
I'm trying to move the C drive from part of an 80Gb Seagate drive to a new partition on a 300Gb Seagate drive.

If I use Seagate drivetools I can copy the partition across but several programs such as MS Office suite don't work anymore, nor Intervideo DVD.
And yes they are legit.

I've now tried ghosting the drive across with Ghost V7 2002 which says it's successful but when I boot XP it comes up with the Logon screen and when I push enter ( Password is set to blank currently) it just comes up with logging off windows and then returns back to the Logon screen! :help:

I've also tried to create a Ghost image of C, then I would restore that on the new drive but for some reason Ghost hangs after I have selected the drive and partition to create the image from. It doesn't ask where to create the image at all...? :help:

At this stage I'm loathe to use the other tool on Seagate drive tools to move the C partition to the new drive just incase it still doesn't work properly. :waughh:

I do have another 80Gb drive which I'm thinking about copying the original partitions onto then trying the move from that. Or using the Seatools move...

I have also thought about using XP's disaster recovery and creating restore disks to move C to the new drive.

Why can't I Login on the Ghosted partition?

And why doesn't Seatools get it right either?

Anybody got the solutions to either of the above problems and which is quickest and easiest to do? :badpc:

Thanks for your prompt replies I hope.

drcspy
04-08-2006, 09:25 PM
hmmm.... the only time i've had ghost hang is if there's file or physical errors on one of the drives...in the ghost options you can set it to ignore crc errors and force cloning this may be worth looking at. Anothe question is: what size partition are you trying to copy the ghost image onto ?

EX-WESTY
04-08-2006, 09:45 PM
The partition that I intended to use to put the image onto has over 30GB free. The current C partition is on a 13 Gb partition and is approxiamately 9Gb in size.

pctek
05-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Do it this way.
Partition and format (with XP) the new drive into whatever partitions you want.
Then Ghost c: from the smaller over to the bigger drive.
Watch if there any errors.

Then try. If there is any problems due to errors you can always run a Repair Install over the new drive after.

drcspy
05-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Do it this way.
Partition and format (with XP) the new drive into whatever partitions you want.
Then Ghost c: from the smaller over to the bigger drive.
Watch if there any errors.

Then try. If there is any problems due to errors you can always run a Repair Install over the new drive after.

exactly !