PDA

View Full Version : Surely someone must have some answers?

k9.college_napier@xtra.co
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Hello again,
I posted the following about a week ago now. There were 60 views but no replies. Does anyone have any info for me on this and just didn't have time to answer at that point?

John L.

Hi all,
Before asking this question I did a quick search under similar topics in the archives but could only find older posts so I thought I would ask.

Does anyone know of cordless mic/headphone headsets for interfacing with a desktop? They MUST have Mic interfacing capapbilities not just earphone as I want to use it for VOIP.

I have looked at DSE and they seem to advertise a bluetooth dongle that might interface with a phone headset but does anyone know if they definitly do?
Is it possible to interface any USB bluetooth dongle with any phone headset?

Plantronics also seem to have products that also might do the job but the price :(

Are there other types of product to achieve what I want? e.g infrared or wifi etc?

John L.

rob_on_guitar
04-08-2006, 08:09 PM
http://www.surevox.com/

Thats from google, but honestly I dont know much about these things...

Ninjabear
04-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I've seen people using bluetooth dongle with say a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Hands free HBH-608.

and I've also seen people who have had difficulty using it with their PC.

My computer installed the bluetooth dongle on her laptop somehow it wiped our her laptop's documents.I have no idea why.

I've tried to use a bluetooth dongle but the process of setting it up is very frustrating and at the end I just gave up.

I haven't had a good chance and the time to set it up but I've heard alot of people saying that windos xp doesnt work well with bluetooth

Ninjabear
04-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I can say that I've tried nearly all of the Sony Ericsson Bluetooth Handsfree,one or two nokia ones and one Motorola Handsfree.

At this moment in terms of clarity,connectivity and sound quality

HBH-GV435 and HBH-IV835 comes up at the top

HBH-608 has ergonomic issues and the sound seems to break up when your trying to hear something.

HBH-610 is the worse model released with constant distortion issues.

drcspy
04-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I have looked at DSE and they seem to advertise a bluetooth dongle that might interface with a phone headset but does anyone know if they definitly do?

ah I know it seems obvious but why not ask DSE surely they as the retailer will know their product and be able to quickly answer ?

Joe Blogs
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi John.

Just a small warning.
Its not a good idea to use an email address as a user name or even display an email address on a public forum as the result will be you being bombarded with spam.
It might be wise to re register under a different name and ask one of pressf1 mods to close down your k9 addy to prevent this happening.

Cheers

Strommer
05-08-2006, 09:21 AM
John, I use an Altec Lansing headphone-mic set, supplied free with PC World subscription... :D ... and it works perfectly for VOIP. Why not get any kind you like from Dick Smith? Remember they have a great 2 week return policy!!

stumagoo
05-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Having been in the same position and looking for wireless voip usage the only answer we came to has been already mentioned.

A bluetooth headset with a bluetooth dongle. be aware that the ranges mentioned seem to be very dodgy and the blue soliel program that comes with most dongles is a major pain in the butt but if you take it step by step it will work.

I have found that I use desk top speakers now for my output otherwise you are in talk mode all the time and the talk time is only about 4 hours. you end up doing the startrek thing and hitting a button to talk. the audio quality appears to be a price related thing ie you get what you pay for as does the talk time.

I am informed that a stereo version is carded for release later this year for those playing games or listening to music as well.