PDA

View Full Version : Audio/Video Sync problem.

Miami Steve
04-08-2006, 04:24 PM
I have some AVI files that I burnt to DVD to watch on TV. When watching them, every couple of minutes the picture will go blocky (like Sky rain fade) and then continue, but with the audio lagging by half a second or so. As you get further through the gap grows each time this happens, until it becomes unwatchable.

Watching the same AVI files on the PC (using WMP10 on XP SP2) the audio will slowly (but constantly) drop behind the video, rather than the sudden jumps on the DVD. Interestingly, if I stop playback (NOT pause) then restart at the same point, the audio and video start off in sync again.

What would cause this and is there any way to burn the files to DVD and keep it in sync.

PS. I tried playing in Videolan and there (appeared to be) no creep!

gkar
04-08-2006, 06:09 PM
How were the avis captured to HDD? Was it with a software encoder tuner card, like Winfast TV2000XP? If so, & you can resolve the issue, then you're a better man than I. I spent considerable money & time trying to resolve sync issues -so have others.
I eventually gave up & bought a hardware tuner card -Hauppauge 150MCE.

Here's a simplistic overview between the two: http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10367

Miami Steve
04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
They are torrent downloads. (via Azureus).

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Nothing wrong with the Winfast tuners. I use 2 here, record with them burn to dvd. Never had a prob with them.

Its most probably some codec prob.

Or the video was 1/2 stuffed before u got it.

gkar
04-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Do the same issues occur using media player classic (6.4)? Or Zoomplayer standard -www.inmatrix.com? If so, then it may be the way they were encoded. never used Torrent so can't comment.

rumpty
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
I've noticed the same problem on my PC with AVI files - the higher the resolution, the worse the "out of sync" becomes. Some players are worse than others too, and I think Virtual Dub was best.

I put it all down to my oldish CPU, a Celeron 566Mhz.

gkar
04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Nothing wrong with the Winfast tuners.
Speedy, I'm not rubbishing the Winfast product. I'm just commenting that a number of people experience audio sync issues with software encoded tuners (& using that as an ancedotal example for which I have experience). It's not related to codecs but has to do with their PC's specific hardware configs. You've never experienced sync issues so your lucky & I envy you. My only recommendation, which I've commented on in other threads, is to test the card on another PC to rule it out.

tweak'e
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
sounds like you have damaged video downloads which isn't uncommon with file shareing. depending on software used, you can skip over the damaged bit in the conversion to DVD but it can play havoc with the audio sync.

the other problem exspecially with AVI is useing incorrect audio codec. it dosn't really work with some codec exspecially if your trying to make highly compressed filed. thats one of the reasons other 'containers' such as matroska where made.