PDA

View Full Version : Computer Not sending signal to screen...

CorbinH
04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
The other day my brother picked up a computer one of his room mates had left at one of his old houses... I know for sure the monitor works, since i tested it with the monitor I'm currently using... But, nothing will display on the monitor... The keyboard lights dont come on either... The wierd thing is that the monitor doesnt display the no signal messege when it is hooked up, it just doesnt display anything... If someone could help me figure this out i would appreaciate it. :D

Graham L
04-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Only "modern" monitors are clever enough to know they have no input. Older ones leave that as an "exercise for the user".

gkar
04-08-2006, 05:30 PM
The other day my brother picked up a computer one of his room mates had left at one of his old houses... I know for sure the monitor works, since i tested it with the monitor I'm currently using... But, nothing will display on the monitor... The keyboard lights dont come on either...

I'm confused: yeah, I know. Not hard to do :rolleyes: but is it a computer or a monitor that is the point of diagnosis?

CorbinH
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Uhhhh... Its a fairly new monitor... What i meant though was the no signal detected thing on the monitor goes away when i hook it up to the computer but the monitor remains black...

gibler
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Uhhhh... Its a fairly new monitor... What i meant though was the no signal detected thing on the monitor goes away when i hook it up to the computer but the monitor remains black...

A good sign of a dead video card (try it in another system or at least reseat it) or check that your video cable isn't faulty - in particular the pins on the ends aren't bent. I'm assuming that there is signs of power to the motherboard - hard drive spins up, fans go etc??