PDA

View Full Version : Network woes

Lance
04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
We have a desktop PC running XP Pro connected via a broadband modem to the internet. We have a laptop also running XP Pro connected to the PC via a crossover cable. The laptop can access the web and send and receive e-mails but the two computers don't want to talk to each other to share printers and files. It all worked until last Friday (28-7). We have tried running the network setup but it makes no difference.

Can anybody offer a solution please. :)

FoxyMX
04-08-2006, 02:08 PM
1. Check the firewalls.

2. Check that file and printer sharing is enabled on both machines.

3. Use static IP addresses.

4. Check the firewalls... again.

Lance
04-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi FoxyMX

As soon as we use static IP addresses we lose whatever connection we had between the the machines.

Thanks for the suggestions

gkar
04-08-2006, 02:54 PM
I know it's an obvious thing, but check neither of the LAN connections, in Network Connections, have been disabled. It caught me out recently, somehow one of my connections had disabled itself.

Lance
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi gkar

Thanks for the suggestion but alas no, not that simple.

gkar
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Can you ping either PC? if you're getting any response, even 'host unreachable' is good.

Go to command prompt. At cursor, type: <ping *the other computer's IP address* (which can be found by 'my computer>network places>network connections>. on secondary PC. Click on LAN adaptor & check details on left of screen. Use IP address in ping command.

eg. >ping 185.912.243.213

Check this site out. It helped me get my LAN back up & running. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/noping.html

As a last resort try uninstalling the network adaptor in device manager & reinstalling it. Maybe the firewall will use a wizard to reset.

Lance
04-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi again

We could ping from the PC but no reply from the laptop. My better half has informed me that she had a problem with Norton Internet Security and was asked to uninstall and re-install and thats when the problem started. I have now been into Norton and added the laptop as a trusted IP and the problem is solved. This was not required when Norton was originally installed.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

gkar
04-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Glad it's sorted. :thumbs: