PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Keeps Shutting Off...Help please

BeatsMcGee
04-08-2006, 06:41 AM
okay here is my retarted situation: i think my computer got some type of virus a few months ago beacuse it started shutting off alot, usually when doing something on the pc like downloading or virus scanning. i got tired of trying to fix it so i bought a brand new hard drive, 250 gig, and i also bought just for ****s and giggles another stick of RAM (512mb). i then had my friend install it for me and we proceeded to reformat XP on to the hard drive.. well when doing this it shut off on us once, but then we tried again and got it all to install. okay so at this point the pc is working fine, so we think, but i dont have internet so im just letting it sit until i can find my disk to install the drivers... few days go by and im checking to see if it shuts off and it stays on. well i find my disk and install drivers and then start puttin reg programs back on once i have internet connect ( like aim and zone alarm and such no lime wire or anything).... well im all happy thinking my pc is working good and it shuts off on me.. so i get pissed and my friend said lets take the old ram out and see if its that... so we take out the old 256 sticks ( 2 of them) and leave in the 512 stick. tried some spybot scan and the pc shut off... so im lost as to what it is that is making it do this. ive got a brand new hard drive and the ram is new.. any help would be so greatly apreciated!!! thanks and sorry for the long first post..

kjaada
04-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Try FAQ in this forum.This problem comes up pretty often

Jen
04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Welcome to PressF1 BeatsMcGee.

I would consider a faulty power supply unit. What wattage/brand is your current PSU? Have you also checked to make sure the system isn't overheating? Make sure all the motherboard fans are spinning correctly. You don't hear any system beeps when it shuts down?

BeatsMcGee
04-08-2006, 08:33 AM
how do i check the power supply unit to see if that is it? i dont know the wattage of the pcu.. i know i have a asus motherboard with athlon processor... i think my fans are working too, but ill double check...

could the problem be my hardware? like my mother board or something ?

Jen
04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
A hardware fault is the most likely culprit considering the computer shutdown also during an installation of the OS.

If you take off the side of your computer case, you should see the PSU wattage/model information on the side of it. The easiest way of testing for a PSU fault is to replace it with a spare one (as long as the wattage is sufficient).

TideMan
04-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Have you considered this:
Bad Caps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague)
I had this happen to 2 Athlon PCs recently.

BeatsMcGee
05-08-2006, 02:58 AM
the psu..? what is that and how do i replace it.... sorry i really dont know alot about computers

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
the psu..? what is that and how do i replace it.... sorry i really dont know alot about computers

The power supply, take it to a shop and get them to replace it.

FoxyMX
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
What country are you in? If you are in the northern hemisphere and in the middle of summer then your computer may be shutting down due to overheating. What are the temps of the CPU and case?