PDA

View Full Version : Video Tape to HDD

Poppa John
03-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi All. Is it possible to copy Video tapes onto the computer hard drive, then later copy them to DVD Disc? If so, how so? This is legal. We have old tapes of Family Weddings & Functions & would like to do this as a 'Backup'. Thanks PJ

Metla
03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
TV capture card.

Plug your VHS in, press play, hit the record button for the TV card software.

Easy as, though you need lots of HD space.

Poppa John
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Metla. So pop over & show us how to do it. I will even pay for the petrol, or should that be shoe leather? PJ

Poppa John
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Metla, Maryann says I shouldn't be so cheeky. I have been 'growled' at. PJ

Metla
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
What.....not even a "please can you"?

Anyhow, Do you have a TV capture card?

Can't do it without the required hardware, Apart from that I'll be happy to assist in getting it up and running, Thats what nieghbours are for....... :thumbs:

Though time is always an issue :( :D

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Depending on what tuner u get. Like the leadtek tuners (Deluxe/Expert, if u had 1), you would plug the video out from video to video in (which is a s-video din plug), on the tuner.

You would need a RCA / Svideo adapter.

And plug audio out from the video to line in on the soundcard.

These tuners use the Winfast PVR program. You would install this program, switch to CVBS / s-video, turn the video on, play a video then record. Using this program.

And it saves it in MPEG format.

All you need is a DVD burner to burn it to after.

Poppa John
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
What.....not even a "please can you"?

Anyhow, Do you have a TV capture card?

Can't do it without the required hardware, Apart from that I'll be happy to assist in getting it up and running, Thats what nieghbours are for....... :thumbs:

Though time is always an issue :( :D

OOPS....Sorry. Prettyy please, ever so please, will you?
AS to a TV Card, I don't know. This is for the Metla computer as it is the one with the DVD unit in it. Can you remember. Ph No is 1707. Thanks PJ & Maryann.

gkar
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Use a hardware encoder capture card like Hauppauge -even though they can be the devil to configure. Software cards can cause audio sync issues which can be impossible to resolve.

This what I do:
Capture VHS file to mpeg
transcode/edit to DivX/XVid with Lame mp3 using VirtualDubMod
Convert Matroska container so to incorporate chapters in video file

Some people prefer to burn as mpg file. I've found the mpg transcoding programmes to be too slow.

Metla
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I can say with certainty that it doesn't have a TV capture card in it.

I might pop over for a chat on Saturday morning, Have to look after the havoc while Mrs Metla spends the hard-earned on her hair.....

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Some people prefer to burn as mpg file. I've found the mpg transcoding programmes to be too slow.

It will be if your system isnt that fast. Altho depending on what program u use, some support HT, if your running a CPU that supports it. Which speeds things up a bit.

I just use the tuner program and it saves as MPEG and I use Nerovision, to burn / edit before it goes to DVD.

Poppa John
03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I can say with certainty that it doesn't have a TV capture card in it.

I might pop over for a chat on Saturday morning, Have to look after the havoc while Mrs Metla spends the hard-earned on her hair.....

Thanks Metla & bring the Little Havoc with you!!!

Thanks for all the other advice. PJ

gkar
03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
It will be if your system isnt that fast. Altho depending on what program u use, some support HT, if your running a CPU that supports it. Which speeds things up a bit.

I was using an AMD 2200 Athlon at the time. I now have an AMD 643000+ HTPC. But I prefer to maximise quality to file size. I can compress a typical TV programme (about fory minutes after ads deletion) to around 500mb off the card's high quality capture setting (around 2-2.5GB).

Metla
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
The idea of a hardware encoder is that it encodes into the correct format on the fly, so no futher encoding of the file is required. The job is done.

You then simply author a DVD and tell the app not to re-encode compliant video. Waste of time if someone is capturing to MPEG and then re-encoding it into MPEG, not only will it take time but you will lose quality with each step.

If you capture to HD with the intention of editing the file then your better off capturing with a much higher quality codec (huffy), making your edits and then doing the single re-encode down to mpeg quality.

gkar
03-08-2006, 11:12 PM
If you capture to HD with the intention of editing the file then your better off capturing with a much higher quality codec (huffy), making your edits and then doing the single re-encode down to mpeg quality.
Except that Hauppauge cards -to my knowledge- won't encode to other than mpg. Some people have stated they can encode to avis using DScaler but that has caused conflicts on my system & had to uninstall them.

If you've never had audio sync issues you're lucky (& I'm envious) because I effectively bought a product that was a waste of money & more. I spent more on hardware trying to circumvent the problem until I found a thread giving a summary on why software cards can capture out of sync.

All I'm saying is a number of people have sync issues & it comes down to their individual hardware configurations. So unless you can test one in your particular system, you buy on hope: caveat emptor.

Metla
03-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Except that Hauppauge cards -to my knowledge- won't encode to other than mpg. Some people have stated they can encode to avis using DScaler but that has caused conflicts on my system & had to uninstall them.

Only to mpg?...I didn't know that, Certainly puts them in a new light.

If you've never had audio sync issues you're lucky (& I'm envious) because I effectively bought a product that was a waste of money & more. I spent more on hardware trying to circumvent the problem until I found a thread giving a summary on why software cards can capture out of sync.

All I'm saying is a number of people have sync issues & it comes down to their individual hardware configurations. So unless you can test one in your particular system, you buy on hope: caveat emptor.

No arguments there, Im been playing with video for many years and have had more sync issues then I dare ponder upon.....100's upon 100's of hours wasted on useless footage.

gkar
03-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Here's a simple overivew of the two from a site I have used a lot.
http://www.htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10367

Poppa John
04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Metla & gcar.... You two are way over my head, I would love to have you two here at home, & listen to you discussing this over a beer or three. PJ

gkar
04-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Poppa John,

It would be a long way to come; I live in ****-land (geez: people are sensitive. Won't let me say Auckland-slang beginning with J. Just another damned immigrant :D )

Everything I know is self-taught from reading up on various sites. I'd say others out there know a lot more than I.

You would probably be better off with an mpg edit/burn programme as they are more user-friendly. I say mpg because I still recommend going with a hardware encoded tuner card unless you can test a software/usb otion in your PC or RMA (return) it for another option.