PDA

View Full Version : typing using voice

effie c
03-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi,
I am trying -- to get Word to recognise the dictation in this program tool bar, so as to enable me to type using voice- nothing works !!
I have installed it off Office 2003 into XP Professional, with sp2 etc, in other words all programs etc, are up to date.
I now have the tool bar across the top which one can click on "dictate "etc.
In E mail and in msn, the program works O K ( bar the need to train to my voice)
These two programs prove that the install does work.
BUT !! I cannot get that set up to work as it does in E mail etc--- why oh why is that ? :badpc:
Across the top of the screen are :- Microphone/Dictation/Voice command/a blank panel that appears to show what is being used/Speach/Tools/ etc etc-as I say they work in msn etc,
Question , - that I have neglected to tick or untick- a button
that authorises the use of Word with voice.
My brother has XP home >with voice pre installed, but otherwise identical to my installation which works in all aspects required of it.
I have spent time there today and copied down everthing he has, but still cannot get Word/voice to work
:help:
effie c

TGoddard
03-08-2006, 07:51 PM
What software are you using? If you don't get a quick response here, I would check with the vendor's support.

effie c
03-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi TGoddard,
I am on XP Pro as quoted --3.06 Ghz and 512 mb ram,40 Gig h/d
The voice was activated from Office 2003 as it had not been installed at the initial set up of Office-I was asked to insert the CD to complete the install and away we went.
I have it working on e mail and msn, so to me it should be a piece of cake to get Word doing it as well.
It has to be something I am doing wrong.
What 0800 number do I get for Microsoft as an answer for this?
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Did u read the help file in Word?

And did u use the training wizard so it recognises your voice?

And turn the mic on / enable the mic in the toolbar?

effie c
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Speedy Gonzalez,
Yep ! all of those, as I said, even my "furry" voice has been trained as per the requirements, and from gobbledegook in e mail a couple of days ago , I now can get some what correct grammar, so as I said all of these have been attended to.
As to help - no where can I see about and how I am missing the "connect / button" that allows me to voice type in Word--- but I can voice type in E mail, so something must be going right- so what is the reason for Word being so diffulcult?
I can tap my microphone and it reacts over the speakers and in the setting up of mic volumes etc---yet I click "dictation" on the top tool bar and Word does not react.
I have manually typed in that word page then changed to voice---nothing!
Keep em a comin folks -- surely someone wil lput their finger on it
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
03-08-2006, 09:02 PM
What connect button? There is no connect button for speech in Word.

You click on the mic icon in the language bar, when its on it says microphone on.

Just select tools/speech put the cd in to install the files, then dictate / voice / click on microphone on the language bar to speak.

How good is the mic?? Is it a noise cancelling mic?

effie c
04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Speedy yGonzales,
O K
your last post, after yet again trying everything I know of, including online as I had done before, I rang the 0800 number and was told that this voice typing on my 'pooter is not compatible- which I challenge as I have Microsoft Word 2003 and used that CD to install the word voice software/ I have Microsoft XP Pro installed and verified after install ( so that is legit), and all of these done as per the "book".
I can get E Mail and msn to accept the voice--end result I have to walk away from voice typing - which is not essentiall to life as I know it :nerd:
I was told of software called "Dragon Naturally Speaking " but I sure cannot afford $199 ---(possibly US at that )
Thanks anyhow :waughh:
effie c

Erayd
04-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Perhaps not US $199, but could you afford to buy it second hand? The XP recognition engine is utter rubbish compared to Dragon - any version from 5.0 onwards (it's currently at version 8) will give you vastly superior results and will usually require less training. Plus it recognises kiwi accents better. See if you can get a secondhand copy (of Dragon) off someone - voice recognition is something that businesses tend to keep relatively up to date, so you probably wouldn't have too much trouble finding an older copy.

effie c
04-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Bletch,
Thank you - that is an idea,, what would a second hand version be ?
Ironically it was only a spur of the moment where in I decided to try it-voice typing,- and having seen how fast my brother and his wife had theirs going ( his wife has a clearer voice than my brother or me ---- furry )
I had thought to try it "Because it was there " ) --and walk away from it using good old pick and poke typing but the speed which it works amazed me, so I will retain the program and use it..
I have just called an I T friend who agrees with me that Microsoft ( word and XP both ) surely must be compatible, so he is going to see why I have run into this.
I will meanwhile search, sic, Trade Me and Trade and Exchange as I wait
Thanks again
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
You're not talking about Narrator which is part of XP are u??

That speaks.

This is totally different from the Speech option in Office.

With the Office speech u talk it types, not the other way round.

told that this voice typing on my 'pooter is not compatible

They're talking bollox. That doesnt even make sense what they said. If Office is installed and configured properly it should work.

Whats the point in having it if it doesnt work.

Erayd
05-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't know about others, but no - I wasn't talking about narrator. I was talking about the XP voice recognition engine, which office uses, vs Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

effie_c - I don't know exactly what a secondhand version would cost, but I would have thought it would be substantially cheaper than a new version. I would guess under NZ$100, but this is just a stab in the dark.

If you do decide to buy a secondhand copy, get v5.0 or higher - versions lower than this weren't so great.

effie c
05-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Bletch,
Thank you -yes in Trade and Exchange Dragon v 8 is offered at from $80 and that is very tempting-however at the moment I am trying to find out whether my inbuilt sound will cope-- a mate from F1 rang me last night and offered help but when I had opened up various tabs etc at his request, he tells me that my sound will not cope and I have to have a card put in - what is inbuilt regards sound is AC97 audio and is not enough
On Monday I will take the pooter in to a firm in town and they can install a sound card and a new microphone, if this is the trouble-seeing I am getting some sound/voice/typing I am still wondering whether the is an install fault when I set it up
am very frustrated at the moment as I see what an asset voice type would be over my pick and poke typing and edit mistakes all the time
effie c

Erayd
05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
In my experience the onboard sound will usually cope fine, as long as you have a microphone jack, and the correct drivers installed. ANY full duplex 16 bit card (or onboard) with mic input should do the job just fine.

effie c
05-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi Bletch,

Now that is interesting- my brother has exactly the same instalation as me- except I have XP Pro compared to his XP Home.
They can use their set-up for voice so well that what was my plan, initially,
"it is there I want to master it" --then never use it,---become a much more important plan to overcome my "pick and poke typing"

And as such I want to get things going as well as they.

I see my microphone is no longer working and when I go to test it in "control panel >speech etc I get a message "microphone cannot be used as the necessary engine has not been set up " and please select a different audio device" etc etc---pointing to perhaps a microphone failure or similar-- but can that also be why voice is not working?
I doubt it as I used to be able to use that voice in E mail-- now there is nothing, so I T shop here I come
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
You havent got a voicemodem installed as well, have u Effie??

It sounds like u have one. Or some other audio device is the default device for sound.

Coz voicemodems can / or will also appear under the sounds tab, under sounds and audio devices.

And if this is selected under the sounds tab, obviously it wont work.

See if modem # 1 line playback (or something similar) is selected here, if it is, change it to the soundcard. Likewise for the default device under sound recording.