PDA

View Full Version : More Ram

rocky138
03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I wish to double my systems ram (currently 2x512MB)
There are 4 slots & the capacity is 4GB
Question:
Will the system run better with 2x(2x512MB) or 2x1024MB

gkar
03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
What are your reasons for the extra memory? What are you running on your PC?
If you're not doing intensive work like CAD or video editing then the expense would probably not be worth it for the minimal speed gain.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
1Gb it pleanty for the average user, you will not see any performance increase if you only do the basics on the machine, where as you will see a fair increase if you are gaming, video encoding, intensive tasks etc...

TGoddard
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
There are plenty of uses for memory. I have about half of mine in disk buffers :)

Speed is not really limited much by the number of sticks you have - it only matters under extremely heavy turnover. The important things are good quality RAM and ability to add more in the future. I would add one or two 1024 MB sticks. Get the fastest memory bus speed your motherboard supports and remove the 512s if they have a slower bus speed and you don't need the capacity.

rocky138
04-08-2006, 01:17 PM
I can do either option & I do need the xtra capacity.
My existing ram is the fastest speed the MB will handle
The question still remains unanswered as to which will make the system run better.

The_End_Of_Reality
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
In theory, there will be no difference, as long as they are the same speed, latency etc... 1024Mb will just reserve 2 slots

Rob99
04-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Check the motherboard manafactures website, to see if it will allow 4 sticks of D/S ram otherwise 2 X 1Gb will be your only choice.

note; Even though you have four slots you may not be able to fill them all with double sided RAM, pays to check that first.

pctek
04-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Check the manual. Sme boards if you use 4 x 512mb, won't give you 4Gb, but only 3.2 or someting. I'd use 2 x 1Gb.

Sweep
04-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Check the manual. Sme boards if you use 4 x 512mb, won't give you 4Gb, but only 3.2 or someting. I'd use 2 x 1Gb.

4 x 512 would be two Gb according to my maths.

Using an Asus A8N-SLI Premium board with 4 x 1 Gig ram and WinXP pro SP2 shows 2.75 Gig RAM here on Control Panel, System. One does wonder what has happened to the other 1.25 Gigs or so.

rocky138
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Interesting:
I am after increasing gaming performance here, I'm fairely confident the rest of my hardware is adequate.
I guess what I am trying to work out is, am I better of with more ram or upgrading my existing to a higher quality.

stumagoo
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
first up what are you trying to achieve in the games you are playing. fps is just the start and yes ram is important. BUT 1 gig of ram will play most everything to a respectable level. More ram is required if you are running multiple tasks eg media player and TS and msn and antispyware and firewalls ..... I guess you get the idea. my suggestions go this way CNTRL\ALT\DEL while in the game and check just how much ram is in use and whats available. check how many processes are running (my gamming system runs 26 while in game) ensure that your pagefile is not to choked up and finally check the cpu usage.

ensure your gfx card meets specs easily for good gaming and if you must OC dont go overboard a hot stressed maxed system can actually perform worse than one running a little less aggressive.

BTW I play online in guildwars BF2 COD2 cod-uo mohaa-Spearhead and mess about in a few others my system runs only 1 gig of ram on a p4 2.8 and still cranks good fps on all the above games and plays smooth and consistent no teleporting unless I encounter a high pinger.

rocky138
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I will try that & also do some more research.
Toms hardware has plenty of info on this.