PDA

View Full Version : New build - drives not detected

tommcdo
03-08-2006, 04:13 PM
I've recently built a PC out of new parts. The specs are as follows:

- EPOX 9NPA7I nVidia Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
- XFX GeForce 7300 GS 256MB PCI-e Video Card
- 2GB Kingston Dual-Channel DDR RAM (2 x 1024MB)
- Ultra X2 Connect 550W PSU
- Maxtor 250GB HDD
- Western Digital 20GB HDD (taken from older computer, still works)
- Mitsumi CD-RW (taken from older computer, still works)

I have not been able to get to a point where I could install an OS. When I turn the computer on, POST indicates that there are no drives at all:

Channel 0 Master: None
Channel 0 Slave: None
Channel 1 Master: None
Channel 2 Slave: None

After that, it does nothing.

I have physically installed the 20GB HDD as primary master, 250GB HDD as primary slave, and CD-RW as secondary master.

In addition to POST not detecting the drives, there doesn't seem to be power supplied to them (yes, I've plugged them in!). After turning on the power, I am unable to open the CD-RW drive and the HDDs don't spin (as far as I can tell).

So, I've already checked the jumper settings, I've wiggled and pushed on the power and IDE cables, I've checked the drives in other computers (they work), and I've looked around in BIOS with no success. If anyone has any suggestions, please offer them.

Thank you.

Rob99
03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Go back into the bios check they are set to auto.
While your in there, if your not using a raid setup or sata drives switch these off.

tommcdo
03-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks Rob. I ensured that the drives were all set to Auto. There is even an option to "Auto Detect Hard Drive," but whenever I choose that, it waits for about 4 seconds and does nothing.

I wasn't sure how to disable the RAID, but if enabled would it cause all of my other drives to be not recognized and not even get power?

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Do they actually show up in the bios console? I think the only reason they wouldn't is if (as you say) they are not working/no power getting to them.

If there's no power check the power connectors and note that with some new power connectors they can be very hard to plug in... you might think it's seated 'enough' but the plug might need a harder push.

Other options (unlikely) that you've used a fan cable to plug into the HD, or you could try different power cables ie the one from your CD drive etc.

In my bios there is a screen where you can alter the boot order of the drives. If they show up you can assume that power is getting to them and you could try changing the boot order... ie change to 1st boot for your new HD and see what happens.

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 05:47 PM
I wasn't sure how to disable the RAID, but if enabled would it cause all of my other drives to be not recognized and not even get power?

Unless you're using a raid array the raid setup in bios can be diabled... it won't make any difference to them getting power.

tommcdo
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
The drives don't show up specifically in the BIOS console. It lists "Hard Disk," "Removable," "CDROM," etc., but no names or anything. I tried altering the boot order, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I also tried pushing in the power connectors as hard as I could. If they're not all the way in, the manufacturer has very unrealistic expectations of its users' strength.

Rob99
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Ensure you have your IDE cables installed correctly, the red stripe to pin 1.

Check your PSU with a multimeter when powered on

pctek
03-08-2006, 06:07 PM
I've recently built a PC out of new parts. The specs are as follows:

- EPOX 9NPA7I nVidia Socket 939 ATX Motherboard

Hey, where did you get the Epox from?

tommcdo
03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey, where did you get the Epox from?

I got it from Tiger Direct (Canada)

tommcdo
03-08-2006, 06:24 PM
I just ordered a PSU tester as well as a 20- to 24-pin adapter to try another PSU (unfortunately I have no 24-pin PSUs layng around).