PDA

View Full Version : The invasive blue screen

Mada
03-08-2006, 10:19 AM
You thought the blue screen had gone away for good in XP didn't you...well, you're wrong. It just uprooted itself and settled down for the nice and easy job of the CHKDSK user interface!

I had a little problem with the cable of a SATA hard-drive (nearly no friction on the connectors at the end), which prevented XP from starting up, even though it wasn't the system drive (250Gb, great for video editing, sys drive is only 80gb). Eventually located the loose cable and re-attached it, but NOW Windows kept insisting that one of my hard-drives had something wrong with it. Annoying, but nothing I couldn't fix, I thought, so I ran CHKDSK from the command prompt within windows. Ah, a few problems detected. Time to add the /f operator to the end of the chkdsk command.
After Windows restarted it started to scan and fix the problems. Another system restart, another quick chkdsk scan and all was reported fine. If that's so...WHY DOESN'T IT STOP TRYING TO RUN EVERY TIME I START WINDOWS?!!!

drcspy
03-08-2006, 11:33 AM
this could suggest failing harddrive.......download and run a manufacturers diagnostic program they all have em available for free download from their sites

linw
03-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you still have the partition "dirty bit" set indicating that the error can't be fixed by chkdsk. To confirm this, at the DOS prompt run "fsutil dirty query c:" (don't type the quotes!).

Mada
21-08-2006, 10:19 AM
It's fine now. Ran chkdsk in /f mode for both hard-drives and Windows reackons I've done my bit in saving the day. :thumbs: But it was really annoying though.