PDA

View Full Version : bittorrent downloads (PORTS OPEN!)

-spoonz-
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
ok i have fowarded my ports and they ARE open its a green light
my download speed hasnt changed at all still 15 - 30 kbps the torrent has

my client is UTorrent 1.5

42 (192) seeders and 54 (530) peers

i have xtra broadband 3.5MBPS 10GB plan
and a D-Link 504G (v2 firmware)

my speeds should be at around 150 - 200 kbps im sure

my HTTP downloads are around 150 - 300 KBPS

(PS: im not novice, the ports are defanantly open and active there just so slow!!)

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

stu161204
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Thatís normal for bittorrent as Xtra & many ISPS de-prioritize bittorrent traffic.

Hope this helps :)

-spoonz-
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
hmm is there any ISP that dosent block torrents?

or is there a fix? or a get around?

thanks

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Also, you might not be getting full speed of the seeders, I have this problem, I was DLing Fedora Core 5 a while back and there were something like 100 seeds, and I was getting rates of 30KB/s...

stu161204
02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
hmm is there any ISP that dosent block torrents?

Nope as torrents is a bandwidth hog & gives everyone else on that ISP worse broadband expense.

-spoonz-
02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
then why dont they completely block it?
or maybe make more support

roddy_boy
03-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Just for reference, I am assuming you are downloading a legal torrent.
The most likely cause of your slow speeds is not your ISP, but rather, as David has already said, the fact that people won't be seeding at full speed. You may be able to connect to more peers, and thus achieve higher speeds, if you enable DHT.

Although, the best way to avoid slow speeds is to use decent trackers.

stu161204
03-08-2006, 02:15 AM
then why dont they completely block it?

Maybe because its hard to block as you can change the port for it too use.

roddy_boy
03-08-2006, 08:48 AM
If you are thinking that your ISP is limiting BT protocol, here are some things you can do:

Turn on Prototocol Encryption (only on to Enabled, not Forced), and ensure you have Allow Incoming Legacy Connections checked.

Ensure you are using a port in the suggested range (a range within the region 49152 through 65535 is preferable)

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/bt2.jpg

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/bt1.jpg

As said before, ensure DHT is enabled. This allows you to connect to people not on your tracker, but who are still sharing the same files.

Master_Frost
03-08-2006, 02:01 PM
ok i have fowarded my ports and they ARE open its a green light
my download speed hasnt changed at all still 15 - 30 kbps the torrent has

my client is UTorrent 1.5

42 (192) seeders and 54 (530) peers

i have xtra broadband 3.5MBPS 10GB plan
and a D-Link 504G (v2 firmware)

my speeds should be at around 150 - 200 kbps im sure

my HTTP downloads are around 150 - 300 KBPS

(PS: im not novice, the ports are defanantly open and active there just so slow!!)

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

This is important.

Are you using a mainstream Public tracker NO RATIO for your torrents or private site with Ratio?

Public trackers are generally very poor speed around 30K-40K because everyone limits there speed and there is no incentive to share (one big leech fest).

I believe 90% of people that think there ISP limits torrents or they have a speeds issue, just don't understand the difference between public and private torrents (trackers).

I know several people on Xtra that get full speed on Decent private sites and of course crap speeds on public ones like everybody else.

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I know several people on Xtra that get full speed on Decent private sites and of course crap speeds on public ones like everybody else. Exactly, I have seen this too, have had it happen to me for that fact... although, I have come across the odd public tracker that gets a lot of speed (it was my connection limiting it :D)

Battleneter
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Exactly, I have seen this too, have had it happen to me for that fact... although, I have come across the odd public tracker that gets a lot of speed (it was my connection limiting it :D)

Yea I agree, the odd public tracker (or specific torrent) is good, but 95%+ will give you crap speed of 30KB/s or less.

Public or private tracker should always be the first question asked in threads like this.

Myth
03-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I found with Xtra most torrents were pretty good (using Azureus).
Have changed ISPs (Slingshot) and also torrent clients recently (ktorrent 2beta).
Got real slow speed (but I am thinking this is the client rather than the ISP). Have changed back to an upgraded Azureus, and will find out for sure

Battleneter
03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I found with Xtra most torrents were pretty good (using Azureus).
Have changed ISPs (Slingshot) and also torrent clients recently (ktorrent 2beta).
Got real slow speed (but I am thinking this is the client rather than the ISP). Have changed back to an upgraded Azureus, and will find out for sure

It is more likely to be your torrent tracker, clients make stuff all difference.

Myth
03-08-2006, 11:34 PM
It is more likely to be your torrent tracker, clients make stuff all difference.Yeah, I was wondering that. The reason I didnt stay with that client though was that it wouldnt limit uploads properly (it was beta so these things are likely) I dont mind sharing, but when uploads bypasses downloads by ~2:1 it then becomes a problem.

systm
04-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Unless your ISP has put you in an IP pool that restricts torrents or something similar I doubt it would be your ISP. The main issues with torrent speeds are the bandwidth of the seeders, and your share rating (how much you in turn upload to other users).

Remember, that more seeders for that particular torrent doesnt necessarily mean faster speeds, its all proportional to how many leechers there are and your upload speed.

O and btw. I used Azerus beta when torrents first hit the scene and then later on uTorrent, but last 8 months or so I've gone back to a program I used for a little while called Bit Tornado. It doesnt have many of the features of the other 2 but it always gets the job done and I've had no hassles with it EVER. And really, you dont need most of the features torrent clients give you. Just get it going, go to sleep, wake up, and waalaa....

Master_Frost
04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I mostly agree with you Systm

Your comments are correct when relating to Public trackers, many are faster the faster you share (however still generally slow). Private tracker sites with Ratios' makes no difference, basically no one limits there speed as its pointless.

Even on ISP that do Shape (limit) like Orcon it is still possible to get 200KB/s+ on private torrents during peak times.

As for clients I get full speed on private sites using Azerus, Utorrent or Bitcomet, makes no difference apart from features (assuming they are configured correctly), and technically it shouldn't matter.