PDA

View Full Version : DVD writer reporting blank as zero free space.

imarubberducky
02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
My DVD writer is reporting blank dvds as having no free space to writre to, despite the fact that they do and have i have used them with my TV dvd recorder. This drives only a few months old.

Would there be a chance that some software fault is causing this, or is my writer failing already?

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
And what program are you using to burn whatever to the burner?

Dont count on XP to burn whatever to DVD.

It doesnt support burning to DVD. Only CD.

Trev
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with your DVD writer. All blank DVDs and CDs always show up with no free space before being written on.

Trevor :)

imarubberducky
03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Im using Nero and Ulead. And no Trev, blank DVD and CDs are meant to be reported as having free space avaliable. When i put a CD in it says 702mb free. Unofrtuntly it's not with dvds.

gkar
03-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Can you try and do a simulation to see if it would write using Nero?

If it's DVD recordable you should be able to test that way.

Is the DVD recordable for both + & -? If not, are the discs the correct bookype? Just a thought.

Trev
03-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Im using Nero and Ulead. And no Trev, blank DVD and CDs are meant to be reported as having free space avaliable. When i put a CD in it says 702mb free. Unofrtuntly it's not with dvds.

If you put a blank CD/DVD into your drive and then go to My Computer and click on properties for the drive the disk is in it well show zero free space.

Trevor :)

Sweep
04-08-2006, 10:07 AM
If you put a blank CD/DVD into your drive and then go to My Computer and click on properties for the drive the disk is in it well show zero free space.

Trevor http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/smile.gif

Using XP Pro SP2 I get 702MB free and zero used with a blank CD-R. With a blank DVD +R I get zero free and zero used.

I have no trouble reading and writing to both media.

lazydog
04-08-2006, 10:13 AM
What sort of media are you using?.
I had a similar problem when trying to use cheap Dick smith brand dvds.

Some dvd rw's just dont like certain brands of media.

imarubberducky
14-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Just for future reference (in case anyway ever searches before asking) the problem was caused by not having enough free hard drive space. So if you ever get this problem try freeing up about 10gigs and then burning.

Cheers for your replies anyway.