PDA

View Full Version : help setting up Wine

Shortcircuit
02-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Before I revert to using the old fashioned paper, pen and hand signals (ie ditch ALL computers!) I've got the following problem with Suse 10.1:

I have installed Wine 0.9.11... at least the installer says that installation was successful :cool:

There is no other indication that it has been installed on my system, ie no reference in any menus.

When I type wine etc in terminal window I get the message 'no windows directory found etc' (don't ask me exactly what it said- I've had so many error messages in Suse it's unbelievable!)

Any suggestions how to get Wine going so I can somehow install windows Corel Photo paint, as I tried to install the Corel targz version... which installed properly but then got 'unable to find font server...' error

in terminal after typing 'photopaint' I get the following as well:

/usr/lib/corel/wine-graphics9/bin/wine: relocation error: /usr/lib/corel/wine-graphics9/lib/libwine.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

beama
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
try here (http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index)
been a while since ive done anything with wine but thats where I would start

you could also try at terminal prompt # man wine

Jen
02-08-2006, 11:09 PM
I thought you had given up on this as you had seemed to abandoned your other thread on this and didn't reply to my questions.

Jen
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Have a look at this website: WineTools (http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/)

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Too many questions Jen... I was busy trying to make it work :)

I think I've read almost every version of how to install Wine... none of them work. I have uninstalled/reinstalled, tried all the different 'commands' to get it going... just keep getting endless 'invalid command', 'not found' etc

Definitely giving up tonight... and probably give up for good tomorrow as this learning curve is just too steep and I really don't want to waste any more time on a system that is so unusable, it seems that anyhting that is not installed 'out of the box' is impossible. (I'm really sorry to all you Linux fans, but one thing Linux is not is logical... or user friendly)

Thanks anyway Jen and Beama, I appreciate the attempt to help :thumbs:

Greg
03-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Good decision mate. Most linux installs are crapola from what I've heard, and besides... Win does what we want, so why bother with the learning curve. It's ********s either way but us people that need to use a computer want something that works, not something that creates more problems.

Geeks and nerds need not reply. ;)

Jen
03-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Definitely giving up tonight... and probably give up for good tomorrow as this learning curve is just too steep and I really don't want to waste any more time on a system that is so unusable, it seems that anyhting that is not installed 'out of the box' is impossible. (I'm really sorry to all you Linux fans, but one thing Linux is not is logical... or user friendly)Sorry to hear that. Your first big challenge you had was trying to run Windows applications under Linux or trying to install a package using a non-binary file, and having that failed you have wiped your hands of Linux. Those were pretty big asks and not typical for a Linux newbie to start with. Linux has plenty of wonderful and alternative applications that you can use for the same task that work "just out of the box". Don't try to make Linux like Windows nor expect it to work like that either - you'll just setup yourself up for the fall that way.

In the end, it is all about choice though and what works and is best for you. :)

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 09:57 AM
OK Jen, I hear you but... the way I see it setting up Wine should have been 'relatively straight forward' if one follows instructions. There's the rub as there appears to be at least half a dozen different variations of ways to do it out there... using YaST, Zen... reading the SuSE and Wine man pages as well as the directions at WineHQ and several other places and none of them work!

I would note that apart from trying to set up Wine from an rpm and (assuming that worked) getting Corel Draw to run using Wine, I have also tried installing a Linux version of Corel without success. I presume the failure of all attempts can be put down to operator error :badpc:

It might be 'ambitious' to try these things as a 'newbie', but there is very little coherent information out there to help and that's a big drawback of Linux unless you want to trawl through all sorts of 'geek forums' for answers (believe me- I've seen a few lately!).

I'm fairly computer literate, technologically adept, with (cough) an above-average IQ and tenacious as hell. Yes, I may be a Linux 'newbie', but that's a cop-out... I've tried and I've tried repeatedly with different flavours of Linux.

This is NOT a rant... more like a warning for anyone thinking of giving Linux a go, because out there you just hear all the stories about how wonderful Linux is.

Ease of opsys install 8/10
Usability out of the box 6/10
Configuration of hardware 4/10 (same h/ware much more configurable under Win)
Configuration of menus/desk top 3/10
User instructions/help menus 3/10
Install of 'add-on' programs 2/10

Final word- no I don't want it to be Windows, I just want to be able to use it :)

Time for more coffee...

Graham L
03-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Since it responds to the wine command, it has indeed been installed correctly. It complains that it can't find a windows directory, which is probably quite a reasonable response: it hasn't been told where to look. :D I'd look for a file called something like "wine.conf". man wine will (or should) tell you where that lives; otherwise I'm a great fan of locate). I'm sure Suse has a clever GUI tool to configure everything under the sun ...

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Well done Graham!, managed to find Wine cfg in usr/bin. Double click brought up Wine config GUI, so it looks like I'm half way there... god knows what I do now, Wine browser/console don't start up from the bin directory (if they are supposed to!)

Greg
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
You're a bugger for self-punishment mate! ;)

Keep at it though, coz some of us will call on you when the time comes!

Shortcircuit
03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
You're a bugger for self-punishment mate! ;)

Keep at it though, coz some of us will call on you when the time comes!

I can say with certainty that my brain will be well-fried by then! if ever I've wanted to kill a computer it's right about now :D