PDA

View Full Version : HJT.hjt

kjaada
02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I get a little annoyed when "experts" answer a query and say "run hjt"and post the log.How on earth does a newbee know what they are supposed to do,or even what the log is,but the poster assumes everyone knows about hjt.PLEEAASE put the url for hjt after saying to run it.I know some do but most do not.

SurferJoe46
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
I get a little annoyed when "experts" answer a query and say "run hjt"and post the log.How on earth does a newbee know what they are supposed to do,or even what the log is,but the poster assumes everyone knows about hjt.PLEEAASE put the url for hjt after saying to run it.I know some do but most do not.

I just KNOW this is in response to the poor kid with the trojan on another post...but think of it this way:

IF he really wants to fix his system, then there's gonna be a nice exchange of info, and it will start with him/her asking for the details...and this is just a way of filtering out those who really want help and those who want to waste time for everyone here...I can site a few recent posts that were just that!

Let this person learn to search a site for info in the FAQ's and by actually asking for help a little...

We all learn by doing things wrong...and I know I did!....

Example: I once thought I'd get Bonzi-Buddy too! I learned! :lol:

Pancake
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
You mean something like this....

Please download HijackThis (http://www.cyberanswers.org/forum/uploads/HijackThis1991.exe). It will create a directory folder for you in C\Program files. Run a scan and save the log file. Post the whole log file here. Do not fix anything since most of them listed there are harmless (some are system required). This program will help determine what,if any, spyware/malware is on your computer.

tweak'e
02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
we are here to help, not do it for them.

makeing them actually do something helps sort out the ones who really do want it fixed from the "i want it fixed for free without me doing anything ......and i want it NOW" crowd.

Pancake
02-08-2006, 09:59 PM
The above is my standard speech for anybody who looks like they have a vius and needs HJT.The way mine loads is for it to go into a folder of its own and not just let the user put it on the desktop or a temp folder where is can cause problems with fixes not being saved.Im sure if was was in trouble and had a limited knowledge about computers I'd like all the help I could get from the word go.

Puzutu
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Good news

SurferJoe46
03-08-2006, 04:28 AM
The above is my standard speech for anybody who looks like they have a vius and needs HJT.The way mine loads is for it to go into a folder of its own and not just let the user put it on the desktop or a temp folder where is can cause problems with fixes not being saved.Im sure if was was in trouble and had a limited knowledge about computers I'd like all the help I could get from the word go.

I agree there Pancake......but there is a steep learning curve to this stuff what with Windows non-intuitive pop-ins telling you that something has failed and that you need to call your IT expert or that your system has had a fatal exception...etc...etc.

Knowing when to panic for sure as to when to just become annoyed is also a good lesson. It's just nuts and bolts and can be fixed again, and panic is going to result in sloppy repairs or BSOD's.

We see enough of these problems from the Christmas puters being sent out online naked and then the operators want results NOW! I feel sorry for them as they will really never know what makes their system tick....they just throw a hissy (or money) at it and never learn from their mistakes.

I was indeed both upset and intrigued by those with the smarts enough to actually repair systems from afar (F1 is some distance) and knowingly steer me to repairs and fixes that worked. I always knew that I was in a "Tech/help" arena here, and that there are a lot of eyes watching, and I would probably not be allowed to totally flounder and drown without some help.

Even the butt-wise remarks were a good learning experience too.

"Where did they get this knowledge?" was my thought...and I see that the wellspring here at F1 is indeed broad and free-flowing.

Just leave enough questions unanswered for some personal navel contemplation. ;) Since there is no real limit on the number of lines or questions you can ask........even repeatedly............

I am sure that the darkest problem will be answered here. If an answer is either murky or over the head, the questioner has a few options: ask for simplified answers or ask in a different way.

In the end, I am sure that this site attracts people who want to learn, not be spoon-fed. There are exceptions: the sheer numbers of "one-timers" who just bookmark this site for the next time they have a failure and never add to the ranks of helpers and/or never visit again.

...just my opinion; I am sure there are many others.

Pancake
03-08-2006, 02:27 PM
On some things I agree with you on.I help out on nine forums fixing malware an I have see it time and time again where people get clean,say thanks,and are back a week later to be cleaned again.These types dont worry as they know there is someone their to always help them.

On most of the sites I work on no one is allowed to pitch in and help unless they have some sort of training as the user wants to walk away with their computer still working.Only last week I saw someone take out a file that left the poor user with a reinstall.

As you said there are those that bookmark and come back,But are they the ones who cant help out because the dont have enough knowledge.Then on the other hand you have the person who says he/she has fixed their virus but the computer is still not working right.These can take days to refix.I much prefer the user to leave them alone so that I can see what I'm up against.

If anyone is interested in learning more on fixing HJT logs there are forums that have training schools..Two that come to mind are:

http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.htm l

http://www.security-forums.com/index.php