PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Bandwidth...

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey Peps :D

I have a problem, I will be the first to admit it :p I download too much, Game demos, trailers, etc... and go over my monthly cap (10Gb) very quickly. I have searched and Googled, and all the rest, what I want is a program that will limit the bandwidth to say... 300Mb per day... are there any freeware programs (maybe any programs) that can do this?

Or maybe even how I will be able to make one using VB...

developer
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I think there is an ISP called Actrix limits your daily usage for you.

http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/highspeed/cyberjet.php

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Ah, I see, I don't want to change ISP's as this is not my account (parents)

EDIT: Oh, and I only want to limit the one machine... not all on the network

Battleneter
02-08-2006, 08:31 AM
I am guessing your parents are with Xtra. There are several ISP's that offer more data cap around 20 gig for the "same price", Ihug,Slingshot,Telstras new DSL packages.

I have no idea why people don't shop around for broadband and simply go Xtra for no good reason, its actually really bizzare.

Would you parents pay $4 a litre for petrol if the service station next door was selling it for $1.80?.

Morgenmuffel
02-08-2006, 08:43 AM
There are a few packages out there that will do that, although most that i have seen limit the speed of the specific computer not the amount downloaded

I don't know any others off hand that are free but

i just checked on Google with the following terms and heaps came up

bandwidth limiting software page 2 is actually better on this search as it tends to be geek forums discussing the software, so you actually get honest-ish opinion rather than marketing hype

there were a few "trial" versions in there

http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/bandwidth-limiting.htm

actually looked good, but only a months free trial

Master_Frost
02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Netlimiter

Limits specfic programs or the entire connection on the PC

I.E
Limit utorrent to 50KB/s
Internet Explorer not limited.

Been using it for years, I advise version 1.3. Hate the new version 2.0 seems sluggish and bloated.

pctek
02-08-2006, 09:30 AM
I have no idea why people don't shop around for broadband and simply go Xtra for no good reason, its actually really bizzare.

Would you parents pay $4 a litre for petrol if the service station next door was selling it for $1.80?.
Oh? You think its that much different?

http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=2446&category=Computers%20%26%20Phones&subcategory=Internet&topic=Broadband%20internet&title=Compare%20plans&contenttype=testtable

Doesn't look that way to me. A small difference and most require you to shift phone services to them as well. Thats not always practical for some people for various reasons.

Besides, lets look at my situation. 3.5Mbps, 10Gb. Since it went to 3.5 speed has been rubbish. Well Xtra refund me each month. Because they know its their equipment thats the problem.

So free rubbish broadband. Now if I was with another ISP, what would I get? Them telling me its Telecoms fault and no refund.

When Telecom causes even more of a problem with the next "speed increases" and changes their small print to get rid of the need to refund, then I might look at someone else but then again, maybe not too.

Xtra receives Telecom DSL as a Layer 3 service, whereas wholesale providers get it as a Layer 2 Tunnelled Protocol.

pctek
02-08-2006, 09:31 AM
I download too much

what I want is a program that will limit the bandwidth to say
How about willpower?

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Battleneter - They don't want more bills, I know that others are better, but do you think I can get that through?... No... :groan: I might have another go tonight.

Nigel - I saw that one, but the problem with that is, the setup I am using is, ADSL modem (DSL-30gv2) Router (Linksys WRT54GL) and then the individual PCs, I have no gateway PC...

MF - Limiting specific programs is what I would like to do, but not neccesary, the whole connection will be ok. but what it must be able to do is limit the amount, not the speed...

pctek - I must get onto them, as I am not getting my full speed either, I am only getting 2Mb, which is still better than some people...

WHAT??!! willpower??? :p that is a bit like (this is probably not a very good example... but...) telling a boy racer not to go and race, but he will anyway :p AND I have tried :p

chiefnz
02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
OK so what happens when you realise that you can't wait any longer for a download. There's no point in limiting how much you can download from a single machine if you're not planning to curb your downloading.

The best solution is to get a higher cap. I pay $59.95/month and I get 30GB of international traffic, national traffic is free. I usually average between 12 and 15GB (highest I've been is 18GB) but it sure beats running @ 56K.

Shop around and you will find a better deal. There are far more better ISP's than Xtra... you just need to look.

Cheers

chiefnz

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes, I know. but as I said before, the 'rents don't want another bill, especially since I am really the only one who uses it... :stare:

I am going to seriously have another crack at it tonight :D

What ISP is that with?

pctek
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
pctek - I must get onto them, as I am not getting my full speed either, I am only getting 2Mb, which is still better than some people...

WHAT??!! willpower??? :p that is a bit like (this is probably not a very good example... but...) telling a boy racer not to go and race, but he will anyway :p AND I have tried :p
Better hurry, they're going to stop the refunds soon.

Well, this is your parents account. How about arranging for them to come nad drag you away from the PC?

linw
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Seriously, you need a counsellor rather than a magic program!

So, when the magic program sticks the limit flag up what are you going to do? Go meekly to bed or disable the program?

You could also stop bludging off your parents, go get a job and contribute to the bill. But I forgot, if you were working you wouldn't have time to download so much!!

Graham L
02-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Get a dialup account. :D

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
pctek - I will get onto them soon...

linw - I set things DLing and do other things... I am still at school, therefor don't have A LOT of time for a job, BUT I DO have one, get your facts straight before posting...

Graham - that is just not funny :p I know how bad they are... :groan:

pcuser42
02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Get a dialup account. :D

What, and sacrifice 256Kb\s speed for a week? Good idea. :)

Laura
02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
pcuserwinxp:
What's with the content of the Apache webpage link in your sig?

mejobloggs
02-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Heck yeah, a dialup account will stop you even using the net!

imarubberducky
02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
OK so what happens when you realise that you can't wait any longer for a download. There's no point in limiting how much you can download from a single machine if you're not planning to curb your downloading.

The best solution is to get a higher cap. I pay $59.95/month and I get 30GB of international traffic, national traffic is free. I usually average between 12 and 15GB (highest I've been is 18GB) but it sure beats running @ 56K.

Shop around and you will find a better deal. There are far more better ISP's than Xtra... you just need to look.

Cheers

chiefnz
Hey, sorry to hijack the thread, but what isp is that with?

The_End_Of_Reality
02-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I used to be on dial up, only switched to BB in December of last year, I was on the net DLing so much, that we went over the hourly rate, AND parents use the BB for work occationally (RDC and the likes which require as fast a net connection as possible).

Ducky - :p I asked that ealier, I would also like to know ;)

vinref
02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a quite cheap router - a Billion 7402L - that comes with QoS (quality of service) options. Never used it as I am the only user on my network and I am no downloading freak, but it seems you can limit outbound and/or inbound traffic by IP address (internal and external).

Have a look at the router configs.

Battleneter
02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Oh? You think its that much different?

http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?docid=2446&category=Computers%20%26%20Phones&subcategory=Internet&topic=Broadband%20internet&title=Compare%20plans&contenttype=testtable

Doesn't look that way to me. A small difference and most require you to shift phone services to them as well. That's not always practical for some people for various reasons.

Besides, lets look at my situation. 3.5Mbps, 10Gb. Since it went to 3.5 speed has been rubbish. Well Xtra refund me each month. Because they know its their equipment that's the problem.

So free rubbish broadband. Now if I was with another ISP, what would I get? Them telling me its Telecoms fault and no refund.

When Telecom causes even more of a problem with the next "speed increases" and changes their small print to get rid of the need to refund, then I might look at someone else but then again, maybe not too.

Xtra receives Telecom DSL as a Layer 3 service, whereas wholesale providers get it as a Layer 2 Tunnelled Protocol.

Hmm pctek lets see..... Nice artical (scarcasm directed at artical). Maybe your Xtra speed is so bad you can't open the following sites, so I will help you out.

Xtra $59 for....3.5MB/128K with *10gig data cap*

Slingshot$49 for....3.5MB/128K with *10gig datapack BUT add another 10 gig data pack at $10 equals 20 gig for the same price as Xtra.
http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=999&tabid=11&subnav=19

Teltra DSL $40... 3.5MB/128K with no data BUT add 2x10 gig data packs (2x$11) equals $62 wich is $3 more exspesive than Xtra for DOUBLE the data cap.
http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products-res/internet/pdq/

As for ISP performance there does not seem to be any tangible difference beteen Xtra and most other ISP's as I am sure you will agree.

This is a freaking HUGE difference, you were saying?

Apteryx
03-08-2006, 03:13 AM
You CAN have a different ISP to your parents on the same computer. My husband uses Infogen I use Paradise, on the same computer. If your parents are paying the bills they may prefer an extra monthly account to huge overcap bills. :p

linw
03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Apteryx, you are probably using dial-up, though. Or do you re-program the modem/router each time you change provider?

EOR - Ok you've got a job but you missed following up on the bit about using some of the money helping with the bills!

The_End_Of_Reality
03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Apteryx, you are probably using dial-up, though. Or do you re-program the modem/router each time you change provider?

EOR - Ok you've got a job but you missed following up on the bit about using some of the money helping with the bills!Hmm, 3 hours a week? does not give one a lot to play with...