PDA

View Full Version : Computer freezing

Hartbrake
01-08-2006, 11:55 AM
My computer has a habit of freezing or getting a blank screen and only by resetting can I get it to work.
My brother has had a look but cant find anything wrong but gave me a few things to try. I have reloaded windows xp put on sp2 then loaded everything else which seemed to fix it but after a month or so it started again. I then had the original memory removed which seemed to fix it again but after a month or so it stated to freeze again! he now thinks that I should replace my mother board which is going to be a mission as it needs an amd socket A which are hard to come by.
Is there anything that could be causing this problem or another way of fixing it? Any help would be cool.

nicisace
01-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Hard to say - have you tried scanning for spyware / viruses? Disabling startup items one by one ("Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab" - naturally being careful not to disable anything essential!).

I did have a vaguely similar problem recently which turned out to be a loose plug on the MOBO - may pay to check over those also...

Hartbrake
01-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Have all the anti spy, anti virus, anti everything and its clean as a whistle! My brother took all the crap out of start up.
It all started when a "friend" had a look at it once and bent all the pins where the mouse was plugged in, I now have a usb mouse :-) Its had viruses removed, a new graphics card, new mice, a new memory and a dvd drive since.
How do I check for a loose plug on the MOBO?

FoxyMX
01-08-2006, 01:56 PM
The most common hardware causes of computers freezing are overheating, faulty RAM and faulty or insufficient power supply unit (PSU).

Was the computer freezing before you got new memory? If not, then check that the RAM isn't the problem. Otherwise check the PC is not overheating and if not, check out the PSU.

Hartbrake
01-08-2006, 02:07 PM
It started way before we got new memory. It doesn't over heat, my brother checked that.
How di I find out if its faulty RAM?

FoxyMX
01-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Not likely to be the memory then but if you still want to test it try giving MemTest86+ (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4226) a whirl.

I would be inclined to start looking at the PSU myself. What size and brand is it? Have you got another you can try?

Hartbrake
01-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I have no idea I would have to get my Dad to have a look. I will have to see if Dad has a spare we can try.

Cicero
01-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I have no idea I would have to get my Dad to have a look. I will have to see if Dad has a spare we can try.
If you download this app,it will do an audit of your hardware etc.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html