PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access LAN: password

gkar
31-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a local network between my desktop (Win XP Home) & my HTPC (Win XP Pro). Both OSs have SP2 installed. Desktop has latest updates but HTPC is not internet connected.

I can access from HTPC to desktop but when I attempt desktop to HTPC I get a box asking for a password for 'computer name>guest' which I assume is the computer's guest account.

Both PCs have no logins & I use XP Powertoy's autologin. I can ping both ways.

Any ideas on what to do or hints on where I should look? Thanks.

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Have you check the guest account on the pro pc?. try logging using the computername\username>password you normally would use on that pc.

gkar
31-07-2006, 10:59 PM
try logging using the computername\username>password you normally would use on that pc.
I don't use a password. Set up with blank password command.

Have you check the guest account on the pro pc?.
What should I check on the PC guest account? Thanks.

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 11:22 PM
The account with no pw, have you used that account to connect?
Have u created a share on the pro pc?

gkar
01-08-2006, 09:04 AM
The account with no pw, have you used that account to connect?
Have u created a share on the pro pc?

Not sure what thais means. I will try a new network setup using the desktop as a template & transfer the data across to the HTPC.

I have only recently managed to get my network up & running again (thanks to the threads on this site). I think the Kerio trial firewall deleted the info in its programme when it expired. Will post back results.

I appreciate your assistance.

Morgenmuffel
01-08-2006, 10:33 AM
What does HTPC mean?

bob_doe_nz
01-08-2006, 10:38 AM
What does HTPC mean?
Home Theater PC

SolMiester
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Not sure what thais means. I will try a new network setup using the desktop as a template & transfer the data across to the HTPC.

I have only recently managed to get my network up & running again (thanks to the threads on this site). I think the Kerio trial firewall deleted the info in its programme when it expired. Will post back results.

I appreciate your assistance.

gkar, XP Pro is a proper network operating system, which will not let other pc's/users connect to it unless a few settings are put in place 1st.
1) In order to connect to the PC, it needs to know which user account you are using if you arent using the guest account. When connecting to must stipulate which account in the form of computername\useraccount (the acc that resides on the poc you are connecting to! and the account password.
2) You need to specify a folder which you wish the other pc to see, NOT the whole HDD. When setting up this 'share' (from computer management) to set who can see it and what they can do.

linw
01-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Is the Pro m/c set for "Simple File Sharing"? If not, I suggest you set it that way. Found from Control Panel/Folder Options/View/Advanced Settings at bottom of scrolled list. Also make sure you follow Solmeister's injunction to make sure a folder is set for sharing on the Pro m/c.

gkar
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Linw,

Is the Pro m/c set for "Simple File Sharing"?
Yes it was already checked.

2) You need to specify a folder which you wish the other pc to see, NOT the whole HDD. When setting up this 'share' (from computer management) to set who can see it and what they can do.
I have done that on my desktop & had done it also on my HTPC. I guess not as I've just noticed that the check box is greyed out. I re-ran the network setup wizard, tested a shared folder...and it now works. :thumbs:

Not sure what had happened to my previous setup. My tinkering to get GB-PVR working properly may have caused changes I was unaware of. :badpc:

Thanks so much for your support: that's gold -as the Chief would say on the Footy Show.