PDA

View Full Version : How to bypass user logon?!

stuffed
31-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Have a stand alone PC for running an application and get the PC to automatically reboot once a day. Now XP has decided for no reason to start at the user logon screen instead of opening the applications!
How can I set it so it launches directly to windows and the applications? Have looked at USER SETUP but nothing obvious there.
Many thanks

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Have you installed dot.net from MS recently, that creates ASP net user account, check in users etc and delete the a/c. If more than 1 acc on pc, you will get selection screen of user to login

stuffed
31-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I am the only user. Is there no way to tell Windows to just start each time?!

SurferJoe46
31-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Do this...go to the Users in the Control Panel in Safe Mode and see if you have ASP as an option...if so and you are not an IT expert and code-writer, it's a safe bet that you don't need it at all. You would have gotten this on an update from M$...and it wasn't necessary.

Kill all but the one account you want and see that it will make a difference.

Don't use a password either.

Sometimes, if you have turned to HELP And SUPPORT to invite someone into the puter with you to run it remotely (remote desktop) you'll get another account too.

While there, be sure to turn off Guest Account.

Windows will always assume to allow an additional Administrator's account while in Safe Mode ...it's there to help you break into the puter...either yours or anyone else's by using a hidden Administrator's authority. :D

stuffed
31-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks you guys. Just out of interest this was a reply that got from another forum - and it worked just fine.

Auto Logon

To enable Autologon in Windows XP
1. Click Start, Run and enter "control userpasswords2" to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts application.

2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start your computer

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi stuffed, the fix u state above is nominating a specific a/c to autologin, which will work with multiple a/c, however should u wish to log in as another a/c, u have to log off the specified autologin a/c.

Both will works. The way we posted is to maintain single a/c login

Trev
31-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Do this...go to the Users in the Control Panel in Safe Mode and see if you have ASP as an option...if so and you are not an IT expert and code-writer, it's a safe bet that you don't need it at all. You would have gotten this on an update from M$...and it wasn't necessary.

Kill all but the one account you want and see that it will make a difference.

Don't use a password either.

Sometimes, if you have turned to HELP And SUPPORT to invite someone into the puter with you to run it remotely (remote desktop) you'll get another account too.

While there, be sure to turn off Guest Account.

Windows will always assume to allow an additional Administrator's account while in Safe Mode ...it's there to help you break into the puter...either yours or anyone else's by using a hidden Administrator's authority. :D

I had that problem since reinstalling XP 3 months ago. Your fix above fixed it.
BTW I didn't have to go into safemode to delete the ASP option.

Trevor :)

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I had that problem since reinstalling XP 3 months ago. Your fix above fixed it.
BTW I didn't have to go into safemode to delete the ASP option.

Trevor :)

Not required to delete user a/c

SurferJoe46
31-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Probably so...but I like to use Safe Mode for much of the mods I correct and/or change. It seems to have holding power, if you know what I mean.

Sometimes, I find that making a change to the registry or such is a little easier in that condition.

I may overuse it a little, but while there (Safe Mode) I also run my anti-stuff....might just as well kill a few extra birds.

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Joe, anti stuff?....Anti-virus programs are devloped to run in normal computer state period, there is no need to run is safe-mode. Safe-Mode doesnt load all hardware device and system functions (basic).

The only time I think safe-mode required for anti-viral removal is if you are unable to prevent a file loading at startup.

You are making life differcult for yourself.

SurferJoe46
31-07-2006, 04:27 PM
I seriously get different, (and what I think), better results when I scan in Safe Mode.

I also never allow System Restore to run. Having full-install XP discs and even the older 2000 Pro and ME (yup!) and 98SE...I play a lot....now even into Mepis (this one failed) or Kubuntu on a dual boot with XP.

Probably a little paranoid of me...but success is in the numbers and time so far.

Have heard a lot of people trying over and over to get rid of a parasite in their systems...and they don't use Safe Mode...and it never gets truly clean.

As of yet, I have never heard a definitive answer to just where viruses hide. Until I know better, I assume that they can hide anywhere. It has been suggested that the true hidey-hole is in an opsys....the sys32 and .dll stuff.

Rootkits not included, I also think they can hide in any file or folder they are designed to hide in and I don't like to give them a handle at the next boot-up.

My paranoid actions are because a few years ago, I got the W95.CIH.damaged trojan which had a payload date to ruin my bios and RAM...I got rid of it...but the anti's were helpless to repair it at all. Had to reflash the BIOS and THAT was a toughie!

When I re-find my H, I, J and K drives from a grub screw-up, I will have again 8 - 200g hdds in JBOD and another 40g rootdrive for XP.

Collecting movies and MP3's is my hobby and I cannot afford to mess too much up.....so........ the paranoid actions. :D

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I seriously get different, (and what I think), better results when I scan in Safe Mode.

I also never allow System Restore to run. Having full-install XP discs and even the older 2000 Pro and ME (yup!) and 98SE...I play a lot....now even into Mepis (this one failed) or Kubuntu on a dual boot with XP.

Probably a little paranoid of me...but success is in the numbers and time so far.

Have heard a lot of people trying over and over to get rid of a parasite in their systems...and they don't use Safe Mode...and it never gets truly clean.

As of yet, I have never heard a definitive answer to just where viruses hide. Until I know better, I assume that they can hide anywhere. It has been suggested that the true hidey-hole is in an opsys....the sys32 and .dll stuff.

Rootkits not included, I also think they can hide in any file or folder they are designed to hide in and I don't like to give them a handle at the next boot-up.

My paranoid actions are because a few years ago, I got the W95.CIH.damaged trojan which had a payload date to ruin my bios and RAM...I got rid of it...but the anti's were helpless to repair it at all. Had to reflash the BIOS and THAT was a toughie!

When I re-find my H, I, J and K drives from a grub screw-up, I will have again 8 - 200g hdds in JBOD and another 40g rootdrive for XP.

Collecting movies and MP3's is my hobby and I cannot afford to mess too much up.....so........ the paranoid actions. :D

Joe, U really will have to start being careful where you download stuff from mate... That amount of viruses is crazy.

Touch wood, I have yet to have my home PC attacked in that way, though I dont use IE.