PDA

View Full Version : 2 CPU Drivers?

stingray68
30-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I am helping out relative PC. When starting up, I noticed on the start up screen that there are two 3000Mhz on the screen.
I decided to check it out by looking at Processors in Device Manager window. There, I found two CPU drivers.
Both are showing same driver number.

I am wondering should I delete one of the drivers?

Many thanks

chiefnz
30-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Uuhhhh yeah... there is no such thing as a driver for a CPU, at least not in the true sense of the word driver.

A driver is a piece of software which makes the hard interface with the Operating system and other related application software. I believe you get CPU optimaizations and the like for CPU's but they are certainly not drivers.

Your relative might have a dual core processor... in which case the entries in the device manager would be correct. It is normal to show 2 CPU's if a dual core CPU is in use.

Cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2006, 10:54 PM
No dont delete either. If u mean 3000 as in 3 GHZ.

It maybe an HT (Hyperthreading CPU).

This is normal. It'll show 2 windows under the performance tab in XP, and 2000 (Where it says CPU usage history).

SurferJoe46
31-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Hey! That's interesting.

I get dual CPU performance windows and one Page File Usage area on my AMD Athlon XP, but only when I am overclocked...now what? Most times, I run normal un-overclocked speeds and don't see the dual CPU bars.

.....and when I fire up the other puters (2) on the LAN, I get some bumps on the Networking crawl too.

Quite sure that I do not have a dual-core or hyperthreading...so what's up?

I didn't build this puter...but my sons did and I wonder what I've got going on here now.

tweak'e
31-07-2006, 11:34 AM
actually there is are drivers for CPU, there are normally built into windows however somtimes there are upgraded ones released by MS. however its more of a windows thing rather than a hardware thing.

stingray68
31-07-2006, 01:19 PM
At first I thought it was dual Processor PC, how do I find out if it is dual or Hyperthreading CPU?

Okay I wont delete the driver from the Device manager. It pay to ask before doing something if you are not sure.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2006, 05:46 PM
At first I thought it was dual Processor PC, how do I find out if it is dual or Hyperthreading CPU?

Okay I wont delete the driver from the Device manager. It pay to ask before doing something if you are not sure.

Thanks

Could be either. Check and see what the brand/model of the mobo is, and if u built it or brought it, someone should know whats in it.

TGoddard
31-07-2006, 07:02 PM
actually there is are drivers for CPU, there are normally built into windows however somtimes there are upgraded ones released by MS. however its more of a windows thing rather than a hardware thing.

No, there are no drivers for the CPU. Ever. Windows is compiled for a specific CPU architecture (x86 or x86-64) and will run only on that type of CPU. To change the CPU support you would have to recompile everything.

If anything could be said to be a 'driver' for a processor it would be a component of the compilation environment (i.e. GCC architecture plugins).

tweak'e
31-07-2006, 07:22 PM
so why does MS have cpu drivers advailable for download ??

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2006, 07:26 PM
so why does MS have cpu drivers advailable for download ??

Like what

straitjacket
31-07-2006, 08:29 PM
AMD have a processor driver available for the athlon 64's. I have it installed because I found that certain games (like Battlefield 1942) would not run correctly on my dual core 3800 without it. But I was of the impression that the driver was aimed at specific features only, cool n quiet being one of them, and that the OS was coded around the main cpu features such as sse 3dnow etc etc....although I am an eternal novice so correct me at will