PDA

View Full Version : New network

4Lowie
30-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi all, I'm on a wireless network with my laptop. Network cable from the wall to the laptop, now I want to use another PC on this wireless connection. What do I need???

Thanks

godfather
30-07-2006, 10:30 PM
If you have a wireless network, please explain what the "network cable from the wall to the laptop" is?

A Wireless Network does not use a cable. It's "wire-less"

4Lowie
30-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Its a wireless ISP, wireless to the roof then cat5 to the laptop.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2006, 10:57 PM
You may need a wireless router (and maybe a wireless access point, if it isnt part of the router), or something.

What version of Windows is installed? If u use Windows?

4Lowie
30-07-2006, 11:01 PM
XP Pro

4Lowie
31-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Anyone got anymore idea's???

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, like I said u need a wireless router/access point, if u want to use wireless on the other PC. You'll also need a USB or PCI wireless card on the other PC/s if wireless isnt onboard.

Or if u want ethernet the laptop has to have a network card and the networked PC/s needs one as well. As well as an ethernet cable / crossover cable or a ethernet hub.

godfather
31-07-2006, 08:31 PM
At the other end of the Cat 5 that feeds the wall socket there must be "something" like a Wireless Internet Modem or Router.

It will not magically turn into Cat 5 from the Wireless without a modem or modem/router, if the modem/router has spare ports already, run another Cat 5 from it.

If not, fit an ethernet 4 port hub or switch to give multiple ethernet outputs with your existing "wall socket" as the input, but unless we know where in the world you are located, and if your Wireless ISP actually permits multiple connections it's all guesswork really.

4Lowie
31-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys,
I'm sure the wireless modem is in the box on the roof, its only a cat5 cable that enters the house. What does my location matter? If I use a hub how will my ISP know if we are sharing a connection...

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys,
What does my location matter?

Well, it helps sometimes. We dont have to know your home address, just where in NZ you are (or the world), if you're not in NZ.

If I use a hub how will my ISP know if we are sharing a connection...

That depends on whether your / the ISP allows it or not. If it doesnt, you'll know, it wont work.

godfather
31-07-2006, 09:57 PM
To enlarge on that, Some Wireless ISP's do not assign real Internet IP address to their customers. The provide a "private IP address" that means you cannot share it with another PC.

But that is only the case in some areas of some countries. Hence the question.

We don't really care in the slightest where you are located, but it's pointless giving out help on buying gear only for you to find it will not work. It's your $, your risk.

4Lowie
01-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks, a good explaination. I'm in Whakatane, its a private wireless network that a guy setup for work and on sells bandwidth.

godfather
01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Almost certainly will be a "private IP address" in that case I believe.
Talk to the on-seller as to what you can and cannot do.

It will probably be quite different to mainstream ISP's.