PDA

View Full Version : HELP usb enclosure issues

K10
30-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know why i cant view a HDD in a usb enclosure under my computer? Shouldnt the computer just reconize the USB drive and have the icon to see it in my computer? I installed software that came with it but it doesnt appear to be working. i tried 3 computers and it doesnt reconize any of it.

I tried multiple HDD's and still none of them appear. I also for the heck of it put a 40pin to 44pin connector for a laptop hdd and put a hdd in as well. The computer sees that a usb device is connected to the computer but

Could it be a bad brand or am i not doing something in windows that it doesnt reconize the drive at all?
The enclosure is a COMPUSA brand Usb 2.0 HDD.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2006, 07:08 PM
If you're using 2000/XP got to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management.

If it shows here, highlight it then format it.

Jen
30-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Welcome to PressF1 :)

Is the drive in the enclosure already formatted? If not, then it will not appear under My Computer. If you go into Disk Management (XP/Win2000) you should be able to see the USB drive and format it from there.

Jen
30-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Ah, snap Speedy! :p

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Ah, snap Speedy! :p

:p

K10
30-07-2006, 08:21 PM
yeah i check out the disk management in admin tools, but it still cannot find my laptop hdd... could it be that it is somehow write protected and cannot be accessed through the enclosure? or maybe i need to get some sort of program that can reconize it? The whole issue going on is that i need to reformat my laptop hdd so i can get windows on it.

Jen
30-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Why can't you boot the laptop with the Windows Install disk and format it that way?

K10
30-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Why can't you boot the laptop with the Windows Install disk and format it that way?

someone thought it would be funny if my computer when booted up was password protected on the hdd and bios, (apparently my dell hdd has the option of being password protected at startup) unfortuantly i do not know who it was and who did it so i cant get the password :( Im also not sure if i can just take out the cmos battery to reset the bios. :confused: I would boot from cd but i cant even ajust anything in the bios.

godfather
30-07-2006, 08:42 PM
A password protected laptop HDD will be unable to be accessed without the password however you try to do it.

The Laptop will probably also have to be returned to a Dell service agent with "proof of ownership" to get the BIOS password removed, but not sure that even they can get past the HDD one.

The security that each password applies is very tight, it is designed to protect against theft. The hard drive password particularly so, to prevent a thief doing what you as the owner are trying to achieve, e.g. to access the data.

Resetting by removing the CMOS battery does not work in a laptop.

It can get worse, in that some laptops will even reapply the HDD password to a new HDD if you try fitting one (assuming you got past the BIOS), but unsure if yours would do that.

This will probably prove to be a very expensive exercise, with a lot of data lost I suspect.

K10
30-07-2006, 08:58 PM
^^^^^^ :( ^^^^^^^^^

Yeah this is not good...... hmm im wondering if in the mean time i could try to get the hdd formated. I was thinking that using an enclosure would fix the problem by erasing the drive, however i cant even see the drive on my computer so that in itself is not great

godfather
30-07-2006, 10:28 PM
As above, any laptop HDD password system I am aware of will not allow access without the password. That includes access in order to format the hard drive.

I run my laptop with a HDD password. Knowing the data is not readable or accesible should it be stolen.

So you need to send the laptop away to Dell, with proof of purchase, then buy a new HDD, at a minimum.

Graham L
31-07-2006, 05:38 PM
This illustrates the basic problem of computer security: If someone can get physical access you have no protection. Malicious setting of passwords can be as bad as having none. :D

pctek
31-07-2006, 09:22 PM
The Laptop will probably also have to be returned to a Dell service agent with "proof of ownership" to get the BIOS password removed, but not sure that even they can get past the HDD one.

The security that each password applies is very tight, it is designed to protect against theft. The hard drive password particularly so, to prevent a thief doing what you as the owner are trying to achieve, e.g. to access the data.

Resetting by removing the CMOS battery does not work in a laptop.

Nope, it all depends on the laptop. SOme of them have a separate chip for the password. If it doesn't, then its just like any other PC to hack.

godfather
31-07-2006, 09:46 PM
OK, my understanding was that most of the recent ones were very tight in that area.
Certainly the HDD password appears robust, I researched the matter prior to applying one in my Toshiba.

Do you know which model Dell lappies are actually susceptible to password reset?