PDA

View Full Version : CPU upgrade

ronyville
30-07-2006, 05:18 PM
hi people, I got a P4 2.6Ghz cpu with HT. Running XP Pro. I was looking to upgrade my cpu to a P4 3.0Ghz with HT. The questions is " Do i need or have to reinstall xp when upgrading the cpu"??

cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2006, 05:22 PM
No. I dont think so.

Just make sure the BIOS thats on the system, at the mo, supports 3 ghz+ before u change the CPU.

cbee
30-07-2006, 05:31 PM
The theory is you should be able to, but make sure you have your important stuff backed up just in case.

drcspy
30-07-2006, 06:19 PM
no of course you wont need to reinstall xp.....you may need to 'reactivate' it with microsoft but this is a nothing ......

developer
30-07-2006, 06:42 PM
You dont have to reinstall OS, but I dont think you can expect a noticeable
performance improvement by upgrading CPU from 2.6 to 3.0. Why dont you
use that money to buy some rams or a dvd writer or graphic card or another
harddisk drive?

ronyville
30-07-2006, 07:45 PM
You dont have to reinstall OS, but I dont think you can expect a noticeable
performance improvement by upgrading CPU from 2.6 to 3.0. Why dont you
use that money to buy some rams or a dvd writer or graphic card or another
harddisk drive?

Thanks for your suggestion, but i already got a dvd writer, 128 geforce graphics card, 3 hard drives, and 1.5 Gb of ram. I only thought about upgrading cos i play quite a few games and thought that upgrading the cpu could improve the games performace a little.. ( i could be wrong... was just an idea i had)

thanks for yur response guys.

Greg
30-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah gaming is a good reason for upgrading anything. And of course you can sell the old cpu to help offset the cost of the new one.

developer
30-07-2006, 09:05 PM
An upgrade on graphic card would give you better improvement than the
cpu for game playing. if you have a geforce 5 or 6 series card, you can
buy a 7600 etc, I think it will give you more FPS than the additonal
400MHz on cpu, because for most games your cpu is unlikely to be your
computer's bottleneck.

Thanks for your suggestion, but i already got a dvd writer, 128 geforce graphics card, 3 hard drives, and 1.5 Gb of ram. I only thought about upgrading cos i play quite a few games and thought that upgrading the cpu could improve the games performace a little.. ( i could be wrong... was just an idea i had)

thanks for yur response guys.

memphis
30-07-2006, 09:36 PM
What about going dual core,can you do that on your motherboard?
If you can then that would be really a better choice instead of a single core.

What is the graphic card you have at the moment,that is what makes the biggest improvment with games and would be what I would upgrade first instead of the cpu when doing a upgrade.

I play games alot too. :D

chiefnz
30-07-2006, 09:48 PM
hi people, I got a P4 2.6Ghz cpu with HT. Running XP Pro. I was looking to upgrade my cpu to a P4 3.0Ghz with HT. The questions is " Do i need or have to reinstall xp when upgrading the cpu"??
cheers.

As stated before you don't have to re-install XP. However, if you're wanting to increase performance I wouldn't bother with upgrading to a faster CPU.

We are at the dawn of the release of Intel's Dual Core "Conroe" CPU and the new AMD Dual Core AM2 CPU's.

If performance is what you're after then your best bet would be to wait, save some more do$h and then splash out on a new mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade.

Hope that helps.

cheers

chiefnz

ronyville
31-07-2006, 05:46 PM
What is the graphic card you have at the moment,that is what makes the biggest improvment with games and would be what I would upgrade first instead of the cpu when doing a upgrade.

I got a Geforce FX5200 128MB graphics card. If i was to spend around $100- $150, what would be a good graphics card to buy.??

straitjacket
31-07-2006, 07:37 PM
The fx 5200 is a dog. You would be better to spend $200 - $250 and buy a 6600gt then upgrade your cpu (especially as you can prob gain that 400mhz difference with a simple overclock) . My advice is spend your money on a graphics card

SolMiester
31-07-2006, 08:15 PM
My votes for a graphic card also, @ least a 6xxxx series geforce card/ati x800 series.

2.6 ghz cpu, that sounds like the socket 478 northwood core!, u can clock that baby up to 3ghz easy!.....LOL. Do you have any temp monitoring software. Look for some on the web, read the manual of your motherboard and get clocking. The northwood core have been able to get to 3.6ghz with aftermarket cooling.

developer
31-07-2006, 09:15 PM
By 200 dollars or so you can buy a 6600GT or 7600GS or X1600PRO with 128 or
256MB memory. Any of them should be able to give you over twice FPS as your
5200 does (5200 is DX9 compatible but you cannot really use it to play
DX9 games).

By the way, if you buy, make sure you buy the AGP edition if your mboard
doesnt support PCI-E.

memphis
01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Upgrade that graphics card,but save up some more money first to get a really good graphic card and make sure it is agp if you have a agp motherboard or pcie if you have a pcie motherboard.

Check out www.pricespy.co.nz for computer component prices. :D

chiefnz
02-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't upgrade anything... at least not right now.

Intel and AMD have new CPU's out and nVidia and ATi have new GPU's. If I were you I'd wait a few months (well at least 2 or 3) before upgrading anything.

Cheers

chiefnz