PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Black Screen When Exiting

Pmoney
29-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Whenever I exit a game my computer goes into a sort of all black lockup. My screen goes completely black, but I can move my mouse around. It looks like I can mouse over things in the background, like firefox, but I cannot bring up task manager, or see if i do anyways.

I try alt+tab, alt+f4 crtl+alt+del but it continues to stay stuck on the black screen. I have reinstalled drivers and all sorts of things but nothing seems to work. Anyone have an Idea of what might be doing it? So far Civcity rome, Diablo 2, and Counterstrike Source have all caused this issue, forcing me to hit the reset button each time. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Renmoo
29-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello there. Welcome to PressF1. :)

I don't quite get one thing, where you said "My screen goes completely black, but I can move my mouse around". Does this mean that your monitor shows nothing except the mouse pointer? Any error messages prior this dark intrusion? Have you tried the key combination "Windows Key + D" to see if you can get back to your desktop? Have you scanned through your computer for malwares?

Cheers :)

Pmoney
29-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes, my monitor shows nothing but my mouse pointer, which I can move around freely.

Sadly there I get no error messages, it occurs when I exit out of a game via the normal quit button, so I don't think I'm doing anthing strange.
I have scanned and found no malware whatsoever.

I will try the windows key +d and get back to you.
Thank you for your help

FoxyMX
29-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Just a wild guess since the games are actually working but you could possibly have the monitor resolution too high or wrong for the games. Check the game manual and ensure you have it at the right setting.

Renmoo
29-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Based on Foxymx's speculation, another question has just arised in my head. Has the size of the mouse pointer changed after exiting games, in comparison to the size of it before you play any games?

Cheers :)

d53642
03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I have this problem too, mine just started a while ago and am not sure if its tied into my NVIDIA Drivers. I do know the only thing to get it back without a full reboot is hit my sleep button then hit the power button to get back on right away.

If I play the game in window mode there is no problem, and alt f4 and all that other stuff does not work cause the game has already exited, thge desktop is just not coming up. Yoiu can click on the icons in the back ground and the hard drive will load but nothing comes up cause the black screen.

blindpilot
12-08-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi,

according to this forum thread (http://forums.techguy.org/games/484888-blank-desktop-after-exiting-full.html) its a problem with the new NVidia drivers...

I havnt had chance to see if i can find anymore info yet..

JJJJJ
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I have been getting the black screen when I play MS flight sim X. demo .
Seems the program is too much for the computer.
Try lowering your graphic's settings. Turn off anti aliasing.
Play the game at the lowest possible settings.
See if that helps.
I don't know what computers some of these games are designed for. I have an athlon 64 x2 4200+ .2 gigs ram ,and an NVidia 7900GT graphics card.
I doubt if VVidia drivers are the cause. Some people with Raedon cards get the same problems.

Also turn off anything else that is running before you start the game. Including anti-virus and internet connections

blindpilot
12-08-2006, 08:11 AM
id be surprised if its my PC that cant handle it, as its a fairly beefy system,

also it happens to me now with games that ive played for months and never had an issue...

The_End_Of_Reality
12-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I have got this problem as well, what I do to fix it is not restart, but simply lock the PC (Win key + L) and then log back in, always works...