PDA

View Full Version : Close down resources ?

hotkiwi
28-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi,
in my right lower corner the icons that show open programs to me are : Zonealarm, WinZIP,Outlook, AVG antivirus, battery, Active Sync, QuickTime, DpownloadAccelerator Plus, ATI driver, Touchpad driver. Large programs open slower and slower, especially graphics. Could it be that I need to shut down some of the programs as mentioned above and how do i do that. or does it not make any difference. my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with 1 GB memory.
Thanks
Johan

pctek
28-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Quite possibly. Start - Run - type Msconfig, click the startup tab, untick those you don't want resident.

And you have done a malware scan too, right?

Jen
28-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Also have a look at this FAQ - RAM clutter (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=RAM_clutter)

hotkiwi
29-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks for this guys,, and I closed down some.
However if, in msconfig, I look at the tab 'services', I see a whole list of services as 'running' incl, just for an example my Acronis backup program. Are these top be shut down too ?
Cheers
johan

FoxyMX
29-07-2006, 11:24 AM
However if, in msconfig, I look at the tab 'services', I see a whole list of services as 'running' incl, just for an example my Acronis backup program. Are these top be shut down too ?
If you use Acronis regularly then it might pay to leave it. Just close down the ones you know that you don't need running at start up, eg WinZip doesn't need to be running. Remember that the programs can be started manually.

drcspy
29-07-2006, 06:17 PM
take out winzip/outlook/quicktime and download accelerator....this wont affect the performance of these programs in anyway at all and they're superflous to the operation of the pc..