PDA

View Full Version : Is my Razer Copperhead defective?

Zygar
28-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I bought a Copperhead 3 weeks ago. Installed it, worked fine in Windows, but when I went to play Unreal Tournament (the original), moving it on a diagonal (mainly a downwards diagonal), the mouse acts like a ball mouse which has dirt stuck in its rollers. That is, it "sticks" while moving, and then suddenly decides to go again. This turns a normal diagonal into what's best described as a set of stairs. It does the same in CS1.6 but seemingly not in newer games (I haven't tested a great deal, just UT99/CS1.6 and UT2004/CS Source). If I turn mouse acceleration on, I get the stairs effect again, the severity depending on how far I have acceleration turned up. I tried it on different surfaces, new drivers, new firmware, different computers, all with the same result. I returned it, and got a replacement which does the *same thing.* Have I received another defective mouse (was there a bad batch?) or is there some kind of software issue? GPstore said that they had some issues with them that match my problem, but I am unsure if it is a defect or if there is a fix I can apply. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

Zygar
28-07-2006, 08:08 PM
It almost seems like I can't move it both down and to the left/right at the same time - one but not the other, but ONLY when I have mouse acceleration enabled, or if I'm in an oldish game. It also doesn't seem to happen if I move my mouse very quickly, so I don't know what the ****.

pctek
28-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Have you had a look here:
http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=1&pcid=0&nav=0

Some people have had issues and a firmware update fixed it.

Zygar
28-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Already looked there, and I filed a trouble ticket with them that contains mostly the stuff from my original post. Dunno how these big companies are with support though.

pctek
29-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Try the firmware then, and if its still odd, take it back and get a Logitech.

Zygar
29-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I turned on acceleration just now, as that allows me to replicate the problem, and drew a straight diagonal line in mspaint.

This happened:
http://zygar.co.nz/images/misc/mousew.tf.png
edit: stupid forums censored my url, remove the dot between w and t.

This is EXACTLY how my mouse moves in the games I mentioned. It does not happen with my old MX510.

Tried firmware and everything, I may have just gotten two from the same defective batch. I really don't want to get the Logitech G5, mainly because I hated the shell of my 510 because it was practically impossible to get grease off of, and because it only has one side button for some strange reason.

meijr
31-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Hi Zygar,

i experience the same issues with my razor copperhead just when i turn on acceleration. furthermore, moving the acceleration-slider in the driver control up and down doesn't change the acceleration speed somehow.

i added a picture showing the stairs effect (only appears if i move lower-right): http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/974/copperheadak6.jpg

hopefully it's not a hardware problem, so they can fix it with a firmware update. i will write a ticket to razor just after this.

Zygar
02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Well, third mouse arrived today, same problem. **** this, I'm getting a G5.