PDA

View Full Version : xtramail

Cicero
28-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Why would I not recieve web mail?
I can't see any settings that would permit this.
Xtra and XP home.

kjaada
28-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Web mail is for if you are away from home and want to read yr email.
You use (say) a friends puter and go to web mail at the Xtra home page
and log in with yr name and password and you can then read or do all the other things you would do with email.Great for if you are travelling,its mail as usual.

Misty
28-07-2006, 11:26 AM
do all the other things you would do with email.Great for if you are travelling,its mail as usual.
Hi kjaada - Your post is really good and helpful so I hate to be "picky" however whilst webmail is great, no two ways about it, there are some limitations. You cannot for instance look back at your previous correspondence after it has been downloaded to your inbox at home. Couple of other things that elude me at the moment.

I substantially agree with you however ! :)
Misty ;)

Cicero
28-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Xtra and XP home.
I am not getting web mail delivered.
Ok re outlook express.
Thanks for the info,I wondered what web mail was for.

user
28-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Not quite sure what you are asking Cicero from your wording but...
I find it useful to check my webmail so I can delete any spam before I use Outlook on my computer to bring in the mail. That way, I don't have to deal with it on Outlook, and can report it to Xtra as spam without having to open it or download it.
As an aside, anyone else finding problems with Xtra webmail? I use Opera and Firefox and it often kicks me off my webmail and I have to log in again eg simply trying to delete mail or open it to read it.

godfather
28-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi kjaada - Your post is really good and helpful so I hate to be "picky" however whilst webmail is great, no two ways about it, there are some limitations. You cannot for instance look back at your previous correspondence after it has been downloaded to your inbox at home. Couple of other things that elude me at the moment.

I substantially agree with you however ! :)
Misty ;)

Xtra Webmail has one very useful feature that you can use to overcome that limitation.

Create a free Gmail email account

In Xtra Webmail (Vacation settings) put a permanent forwarding address to the Gmail account, but select to also leave a copy on the Xtra server.

Then all Xtra email is delivered as usual, but a copy is automatically sent to Gmail at the time Xtra gets the email.

When you want to access any incoming email from another location, just use the Gmail account. 2.5GB Gmail inbox size means it will take a few years to fill up, it also means you have an off-site backup of all incoming emails and attachments.

I find it invaluable when travelling.

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 12:55 PM
You cannot for instance look back at your previous correspondence after it has been downloaded to your inbox at home.That is true but you can get around that by leaving the mail on the server. In OE go to Tools > Accounts > [your account] > Properties > Advanced > Delivery and ensure that "Leave a copy of messages on server" is enabled.

You will also need to tick the next option to remove from server after X number of days to prevent your Inbox from filling up unless you are deleting messages via webmail.

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Xtra and XP home.
I am not getting web mail delivered.
Ok re outlook express.
Thanks for the info,I wondered what web mail was for.
Probably because you have already downloaded your emails to Outlook Express. Try checking the webmail before opening OE. Or select the option to leave mail on the server as in my previous post. Make sure you tick the option to remove from the server after 1 or 2 days if you do this though.

Misty
28-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Many thanks for your most useful tips, g/f & Susan - will certainly use (soon, otherwise I will not remember - so much info keeps crowding in !)
Misty :D

Cicero
28-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Probably because you have already downloaded your emails to Outlook Express. Try checking the webmail before opening OE. Or select the option to leave mail on the server as in my previous post. Make sure you tick the option to remove from the server after 1 or 2 days if you do this though.
Oooh,for a minute there I thought I had it with the leave a message on server,but alas,still no mail coming in to web mail.
Foxy,I have tried both b4 and after,there is nowt in web mail.
This is a new XP download,so its a setting somewhere.?

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Can you please explain exactly where you are going and what you are doing? I'm beginning to think that you are doing something different to what I am imagining...

Cicero
28-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Can you please explain exactly where you are going and what you are doing? I'm beginning to think that you are doing something different to what I am imagining...
Google-xtramail-open xtramail and go to inbox-no mail in inbox.

kjaada
28-07-2006, 02:56 PM
What on earth are u torkin about.?You do not "google"xtramail.If u are an xtra customer u just go to the extra home page.U appear to be definatly doing
something different.If there is nought in web mail then u got nought mails that u have not read.

godfather
28-07-2006, 06:18 PM
What on earth are u torkin about.?

Well, kjaada, I can understand what Cicero is saying (but am having some difficulty with your post, I must admit. (torkin? sounds like tightening nuts..)

He will be meaning that he sends an email from Gmail -> Xtra -> then looks for it in Xtra Webmail and it's not there.

Cicero: - check the fridge door, it may have printed itself there?

Cicero
28-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Well, kjaada, I can understand what Cicero is saying (but am having some difficulty with your post, I must admit. (torkin? sounds like tightening nuts..)

He will be meaning that he sends an email from Gmail -> Xtra -> then looks for it in Xtra Webmail and it's not there.

Cicero: - check the fridge door, it may have printed itself there?
Me thinks this is your way of saying,you now have taken my tip to heart.
Well done,Mrs Godfather will be proud of you.

I would like to make it clear,I am getting no mail on the web site.
I am thinking if I say it enough times it will be understood.

Safari
28-07-2006, 08:04 PM
What shows in webmail is what is in your ISP mailbox so it must be there initially for you to be able to download it with OE.
Either you are accessing a different account in webmail, are you using the same username as in OE or another computer with OE setup is downloading the mail.
Have you more than one email address.
I suspect you must be logging into a webmail account with a username different to the one you are normally using in OE so the mail won't show in webmail unless you send mail to this other email address.

Cicero
28-07-2006, 08:29 PM
What shows in webmail is what is in your ISP mailbox so it must be there initially for you to be able to download it with OE.
Either you are accessing a different account in webmail, are you using the same username as in OE or another computer with OE setup is downloading the mail.
Have you more than one email address.
I suspect you must be logging into a webmail account with a username different to the one you are normally using in OE so the mail won't show in webmail unless you send mail to this other email address.
I thought I would go to my web mail and see if your email was there,then go through it again and explain what I had found.
Well what I found,was,all my mail was there..
The only alteration I have made,was -leave a copy on server- as suggested.
I had done that some time ago and checked but no mail,would it have been the fault and taken some time to make it operate.?

godfather
28-07-2006, 08:36 PM
This sounds very much like a PEBCAK issue to me, Cicero.
Any change would be virtually immediate.

Cicero
28-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Well I have looked at the PEBCAK issues and found no problems.
I will delete a few PEBS from registry,that may fix.