PDA

View Full Version : Password-Stealing Trojan Disguised as Firefox Extension

SurferJoe46
28-07-2006, 03:58 AM
Here's a post on a nasty Trojan in an extension that looks like it's from FireFox:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/passwordstealing_trojan_disgui.html?referrer=email

There have been on-going complaints that third-party digital signatures are needed in FireFox (Mozilla.org) extensions, but so far none have been offered.

Dan Veditz, a security developer at Mozilla, said no amount of digital signing would prevent an attack like this one, as it relies not on the browser's default installer (whose installation files end in ".xpi") but on the user opening an executable program file (".exe") that is handled by the Windows operating system.

Misty
28-07-2006, 10:35 AM
eeeeerr !
- hate to disillusion you S/J, but we don't have any Wal-Mart stores in NZ so the chances of any members getting caught out are pretty minimal. :D
Thanks for trying to help anyway ;)

SurferJoe46
28-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah but....there's always a "but"...you guys appeal to a lot of us too...that's why I am here........trying to learn a new foreign language.

So I made that post in the off-chance that another yank...the noun, not the verb, might read it.

Misty
28-07-2006, 11:10 AM
S/J - What do you think about Wal-Mart getting upset because the city of Chicago is going to set minimum wages so that Wal-Mart can't pay slave wages any more ? (source- today's NZ Herald Business section)
Misty :D

Misty
28-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry --on reflection the term "slave labour", which is mine and not the Herald's, may be a bit over the top (just put it down to my feelings about G W Bush !!)
Misty :blush:

I don't want to insult you or your country :o

SurferJoe46
28-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Don't worry....we use a lot of words to indicate the work-release wages these people pay at Wal-Mart.....

But there's another side too.

If people don't have to join a blood-sucking labor union, then they get the fees that they'd have to pay in the form of wages in their pockets.

True...Wal-Mart pays on a low scale and keeps people from working full time by keeping their weekly hours below the 40 as set by law....but they hire people who would be a drag on the social monies that so many want to soak up and not work.

That's no excuse for low pay though. The Walton family (from the tv show "The Waltons", the "Wal" in "Wal-Mart")) take advantage of the people it hires. There are constant law suits and labor claims over hours and overtime; some loose and some win....it depends on the court and the judge.