PDA

View Full Version : Whats these DBX files, why have they been modified

ktee
27-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Notice in Tips frm old Internet Geeks people say u dont learn anything on yr comp unless u try doing it yrself. Also if its not broken dont fix it.
Well Ive been muddling along, with the my only help, being forums, Lib books, & now PC mag.
All my friends are worse than me. If somethings wrong the just take it to a shop. Alas Im not as financially viable as them, nor do I trust half of these comp repair places. As for the "unhelpful desk"Ö..
So hope u guys can help give advice for novice PC user, been novice for years.
My policy is if it works even if not well, leave it, at least it goes.

Running
Windows 98
Internet Explorer 5 Version 6
Outlook Express Version 6

So finally question is, I have no Virus protection, only old version of McAfee with bits sitting in recycle box. (due to unhelpful desk). After reading this forum thought Id download AVG free version.
Notice that any problems with AVG could be related to having another virus scan on system, and advice said delete old ones.

So being a bit worried about shared files as McAfee was installed when I bought it, instead of going straight in to uninstall, thought Id put "McAfee" into file search (in text option), just to see.

It found 47 files in various folder locations. I did not expect to know what most of them meant, but there were a few that concerned me.Under:,
1) C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\
is a file called corro.s (2), its a DBX file

I remember setting this email folder up (cant remember if it was for "in" or "sent"), I had not put (2) it just came up like that and I deleted it, leaving just a sub folder called corros.s

So I went thru Explorer, C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\
There was 2 folders, News and Mail, and lots of DBX files plus 2 LOG files. (see 3 below)
Nearly all the DBX files had titles that related to sub folders I set up in email.
There was no corro.s., just corro.s (2).
But in Outlook express (when thats open just as yr normal Email), there is a sub folder called corros.s but no corro.s (2)
I do realise it probably came up (2) as I already has one the same name, but cant understand why the (2) didnt go in the application file when I deleted that folder title, or where the one is in applications without the (2)
Also if I double click on the corros.s (2) file via explore, it comes up that I can down load it or open it.
Dont understand, it was only an email folder??

2) Other thing is there seems to be a number of the DBX files relating to subfolder I havent used for quite a while that say modified 5 June 06, I havent looked at some of these for a year. What could have happened that modified them recently. Its not all of them nor have I done any updates in last month

3) Also included is 2 files that have same modified date of 5 June 2006

FixSbigF LOG file 1KB
cleanup LOG file 23KB
I can see these relate to that worm Sobig, and the clean up file seems to be a fix from Symantec.
And it seems to work by just double clicking on it from "explore"C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\cleanup
Why isnt it sitting in downloads folder or program, how come its in Outlook, and it was years ago that I downloaded that, where should it be??

In summary why new modified dates.
Whats happened to email folder corres.s, what the or corres.s (2) DBX file?
whys Worm fix sitting in outlook

Remember its unkind to laugh at those less fortunante than yrselves,
This means computerwise.
Cause I have lots more questions, hopefully all shorter than this.

:confused:
Notice in Tips frm old Internet Geeks people say u dont learn anything on yr comp unless u try doing it yrself. Also if its not broken dont fix it.
Well Ive been muddling along, with the my only help, being forums, Lib books, & now PC mag.
All my friends are worse than me. If somethings wrong the just take it to a shop. Alas Im not as financially viable as them, nor do I trust half of these comp repair places. As for the "unhelpful desk"Ö..

Running
Windows 98

So finally question is, I have no Virus protection, only old version of McAfee with bits sitting in recycle box. (due to unhelpful desk). After reading this forum thought Id download AVG free version.
Notice that any problems with AVG could be related to having another virus scan on system, and advice said delete old ones.

So being a bit worried about shared files as McAfee was installed when I bought it, instead of going straight in to uninstall, thought Id put "McAfee" into file search (in text option), just to see.

It found 47 files in various folder locations. I did not expect to know what most of them meant, but there were a few that concerned me.Under:,

I remember setting this email folder up (cant remember if it was for "in" or "sent"), I had not put (2) it just came up like that and I deleted it, leaving just a sub folder called corros.s

There was 2 folders, News and Mail, and lots of DBX files plus 2 LOG files. (see 3 below)
Nearly all the DBX files had titles that related to sub folders I set up in email.
But in Outlook express (when thats open just as yr normal Email), there is a sub folder called corros.s but no corro.s (2)
I do realise it probably came up (2) as I already has one the same name, but cant understand why the (2) didnt go in the application file when I deleted that folder title, or where the one is in applications without the (2)
Also if I double click on the corros.s (2) file via explore, it comes up that I can down load it or open it.

2) Other thing is there seems to be a number of the DBX files relating to subfolder I havent used for quite a while that say modified 5 June 06, I havent looked at some of these for a year. What could have happened that modified them recently. Its not all of them nor have I done any updates in last month

FixSbigF LOG file 1KB
cleanup LOG file 23KB
I can see these relate to that worm Sobig, and the clean up file seems to be a fix from Symantec.
And it seems to work by just double clicking on it from "explore"C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\cleanup
Why isnt it sitting in downloads folder or program, how come its in Outlook, and it was years ago that I downloaded that, where should it be??

This means computerwise.

Running
Windows 98

FixSbigF LOG file 1KB
cleanup LOG file 23KB

This means computerwise.

:confused:

ktee
27-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry guys
Dont know why its come up 3 times
:o

Rob99
28-07-2006, 02:57 AM
Sorry guys
Dont know why its come up 3 times
:o
You edited this post, why couldnt you edit the other, you still had plenty of time on the clock.

Install Linux!!

SurferJoe46
28-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Having a flash-back here to the old days when I too had about this same problem. (Not the flash-backs...the 98 problem!)

I seem to recall that I had triple running programs of some sort (gads....it's so vague and real all at the same time...like it was just yesterday...but in another dimension!).

Maybe I'm too senile to remember...but the tip is the multiple entries with the subtrahend on them. OOOOH! :blush: My head hurts trying to remember the cause/solution. You have probably been hacked/zombied/trojan'd or virus'd!

Maybe a copy of the results from Hijackthis (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html) would help. Please submit one for general perusal and debate by Sir Speedy or Pancake if they ever wake up in NZ. .

The problem with dates on the file as to access and such, is that 98 updates the time when you just now looked at them. It's not fair, and I hated that too...you could not get a real date-stamp but to be fair, that might've been the results of malware too. I had 98SE originally on an IBM Stinkpad 386....it is now part of the California landfill...it was either it or me!

Now I remember! I deleted 98 and went right to the newer and better ME! :mad: (but that's another story)

Every once in a while, I try 98SE on ( :eek: ) my old Compaq (see a different post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=71099) on THAT!) and scurry back to XP. I can live with a system that is at least current and still being talked about and has some factory support, even though it too is hacked/zombied/trojan'd or virus'd!

The olde analogy about a man not being truly dead if his name is spoken doesn't work with olde systems.

kjaada
28-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Click on the link in Surfa's reply and get HJT then run it and post the log here for the experts to sus.I can see more problems tho as It alone will not fix yr problem.I remember from my windows days that .DBX files are back up files of yr emails that have been deleted for yonks back.They can get quite big and also the emails are not readable from the DBX but require some sort of format change or something.I think,but you would want confirmation on this first,that providing all the emails in your inbox etc are all you require then the DBX ones can be deleted.

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I remember from my windows days that .DBX files are back up files of yr emails that have been deleted for yonks back.No they're not. They are the files that contain the OE emails. Delete them and you delete all your emails. :rolleyes:

ktee
28-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks to some of u for advice.
Robb99s comment is not helpful. I am not lazy, just new to posting on forums.
I checked my message first. I had problems with the icons, wondering why the word came up on bottom instead of picture, deleted icon and inserted again (still word ) so posted it.
It wasnít until it was posted I saw it came up 3 times.

I only succeeded in amending my second posting as I edited it before it was posted.

I could not find any option to amend a posting after it is posted, I did try, if thereís one do tell.
Also Ive got no idea what Robb99 means "still have time on the clock".
Not all of us are so brilliant and use these forums all the time. Only by experience we learn.
Negative comments are not helpful.

kjaada
28-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Kia Ora,When you post you get the option to preview and an option at that point is edit.Do not get yr knickers in a knot tho.You will find tons of people on PF1 who are only wanting to help (Robb99 is one)and it is the best (and almost the only)way to learn.In a wee while you will be helping others and it comes as a bit of a surprise that you are sort of "experianced'when some lesser mortal has a problem that you had and you can help them.
Stick in there.

SurferJoe46
28-07-2006, 06:16 PM
.....and as far as the "clock running" part...you have a limited amount of time (I know not how long it really is...maybe 'till the EDIT button exists on your post) to correct, add or delete portions or even the whole post from the site.

If anyone actually KNOWS of the time limit...I'd like to know as I have had the door slammed on me in what I considered an unjustifiably short time, and other times it seems to last for eternity!

BTW: F1 is taking 4 or more attempts to post or reply again!

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 06:49 PM
After you have made a post you then have 15 minutes to go back and edit it. There is only two minutes difference between your first post in this thread and your second one so you had plenty of time to remove the excess bits. Rob99 assumed that because you managed to edit your second post you would have been aware that posts could be edited which is why he made the comment that you could have edited the first one. I am just explaining that to you for your information, not having a go at you.

Now for another piece of friendly advice. When you ask for help here it pays to try and keep out irrelevant waffle and stick to posting the relevant information because long posts tend to put people off reading them. It tends to make them quit reading after a couple of lines and jump to the next question. Don't think that we are unfriendly, by the way, we are just lazy. :p

OK, so that's my waffle over and done with...

Now, I have no idea why you came by a DBX file called corro.s (2) but somewhere along the line for some reason Windows or OE would have made a copy of the corro.s DBX file and called it corro.s (2). Because Outlook Express had a folder called corro.s it would have created another corro.s DBX file for it. Outlook Express only creates DBX files when folders have been created within it - it will not create folders in OE from DBX files so when you deleted the corro.s DBX folder it would not create a corro.s (2) folder unless you created such a folder within OE. Does that make sense? I can hardly figure it out myself...

If you do not want the emails in the corro.s or corro.s (2) folders just delete them in OE. You will have to delete the corro.s (2) DBX file yourself in Windows Explorer, however.

If you are not sure what emails those DBX files contain you can download DBXtract and extract the emails from the files.

As far as the modified files go, I am not sure but I would hazard a guess that OE compacted the files and changed the modified date afterwards. I could be totally wrong about this however and I'm too lazy to do a search on Google to find out. :p

I would strongly suggest that you get your AV sorted out, if you haven't already, and maybe get a second opinion from Panda's online scan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm) if you are not on dial up.

ktee
28-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Problem hopefully solved
Looks like it was a file corruption.
Think it happened when I did an Outlook Express update more than a year ago but didnít notice it to now. Could be reason Ive had no email to the folder for a while

I found a Microsoft web site, that was quite helpful, titled
"The Other E-Mail Treat: File Corruption in Outlook Express"
(Was going to put address in but just read posting that said, for this forum referral links are not permitted, not sure if its considered that or not, doesnt have ID at address end).

Quote Below (abbreviated frm web site)

Each folder you see in the Outlook Express Folder list is stored on your hard disk as a single file with same name as the folder but with the extension DBX, e.g., "Inbox.dbx".All these DBX files are stored in a single Windows folder called Store Folder. This folder is located deep within the Doc & Settings folder in Windows 2000 & Windows XP, & by default is marked as a hidden folder.

So it not just in Windows 98, I found my folder under
C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

Some of the things It goes on to say
First sign Outlook Express works slower
One source of corruption is trying to open and edit a DBX file yrself.
Also corruption can be in 1 folder, or a single email
Outlook Express might Crash with this error when u try to open damaged folder Article gives a number of solutions

a) Work offline, "Compact All Folders"
b) If that does not work, you will need a new DBX file for the damaged folder.

Steps to do this :
1.If possible, drag all messages in the non-working folder into another folder you create just for this purpose. You can create a folder by pointing to Folder on the File menu, and then clicking New folder (or by pressing Ctrl+Shift- E).
2.Close Outlook Express.
3.Open your Store Folder in Windows Explorer.
4.Delete (or rename) the DBX file associated with the non-working folder. For example, "Sent Items.dbx" or "Deleted Items.dbx" or "Drafts.dbx". Since these are default folders, new DBX files will be created automatically for the special folders when you restart Outlook Express.

Probably best to read article first incase Ive missed something, like dont use computer till compacting is finished.

I followed step b). There was only 1 email in my Outlook express folder for the folder (corres.s) that didnít have a DBX extension. I deleted the folder from there, it just disappeared, not in deleted or recycle bin. Then created new folder with similar name.
When I went into C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\
A new DBX folder extension had been created for the new folder.
I then delete the old DBX folder (corres.s (2)) that had no corresponding folder in Outlook express.
It went to recycle bin.

So far all seems fine, cross fingers.

ktee
28-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks FoxyMX, Yes!!, just seen the edit option on my last post, Iíll use it now.Only other forum I used never had an edit option. Ive always thought once youve posted thats it. The DBXtract download will be useful, as I did try to open the DBX file but couldnt.
Too late ran out of 15 mins

FoxyMX
28-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Well it is good that you have solved the mystery and also learnt a few things along the way. :)

(Was going to put address in but just read posting that said, for this forum referral links are not permitted, not sure if its considered that or not, doesnt have ID at address end).Posting that link would have been fine as it is not a referral link. The explanation for referral links is here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=55330). You are not benefitting financially or otherwise from posting that link so it is not a referral and therefore OK to post.