PDA

View Full Version : Video Driver Help required please

EX-WESTY
27-07-2006, 12:13 AM
The pc that the boys play on dropped the resolution on the display the other day and three days of assorted rollbacks, reboots, reinstalls, etc has gone nowhere.

It's a Compaq Presario 5000 series desktop model number 5WV350 running Windows ME with 256meg ram and the video card according to the sticker on the side of the case is a 8Mb NVidia LT 2x AGP

I noticed the problem when I went to install a printer on the machine for them. Going into the display properties it was running at 640x480 on 16 colours but no options were available in the dropdown list to change to anything different.

I then tried using system restore and rolling back the machine and went back some 5 days previous over several attempts with no joy.
I also tried updating the system bios to a newer patch released on the Compaq site. That was sucessful.
I also visited the NVidia site and tried a couple of drivers from there.
A call to Compaq help line was fat help as well.

I then took the option of running the system recovery disks and initialising the machine back to "fresh from the factory" It took two days to not even finish the reinstall before i turned it off and rebooted...

Last night I formatted both partitions on the harddrive and ran the recovery disks again. Overnight and with a bit of help the software and applications have sucessfully reinstalled HOWEVER the video display is still stuck at 640x 480 in 16 Colour.

The graphics card is detected and states there is a driver issue.

There are no graphics drivers listed on the Compaq site for this model.
It doesn't seem to like the original driver on the system disk either.
If I install the 53.04 driver package from the NVidia site the system totally hangs on reboot and the power has to be turned off.

I tried Driver Wizard and downloaded a Compaq NVidia driver it recommended SP17769.zip however got the same deal still 640x 480 @ 16 colours

I'm also getting this error message NV Core+ 0000BC71 error OE:0028 C157FDC1 i assume that's a problem with the driver and it says Hit CTRL ALT DEL to reboot but as above the computer totally hangs.

What's next please, anything else you think I should try.
There are no viruses etc on the PC I've reinstalled those apps and swept it.

Faulty memory or a problem with the video card maybe?
I haven't opened the case yet to see if it's an onboard card at all yet but I guess thats next.

Thanks for reading so far and your suggestions are welcome or donated old video cards lol

hamstar
27-07-2006, 02:43 AM
omg...

this is why people recommend against brand made pc's...

*sigh* I feel for you EX-WESTY... :(

SurferJoe46
27-07-2006, 04:51 AM
I've resuscitated a few Compaqs...and believe me they are nasty little pieces of hardware. Maybe I shouldda left them in the garbage bin where I found them.

That vid rendering problem is something I have hit many times with these quirky little boxes, and quite frankly, I've never found a rule that works all the time....maybe just an occasional theory or two. (Make that: An accidental repair)

One thing I did was disable the driver for the vidcard, and reboot and (here come the flames) allow MS to install a generic driver right up front on the updates page.....allowing Custom install instead of Express.

Seems to me that I had greater repairability once I had a working driver installed. From there, it was easy to get updates to the vid card/driver and all was well.

Make sure that you only allow rates and such that the monitor is actually capable of in the results. Having off-the-wall values installed will drive the screen nuts.

hamstar
27-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Agreed SurferJoe... I have solved many a problem the same way... You're up as early as me. Say, you don't happen to work on an overnight helpdesk too do ya?

SurferJoe46
27-07-2006, 05:28 AM
Nah!...Worse!

I live IN California, USA...and we never sleep

hamstar
27-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Ahh well that figures... the helpdesk I'm on is for US users. I'm living in almost the same time.. ahh.. thingee as you.. (time frame? EST anyway)

EX-WESTY
27-07-2006, 09:36 AM
It detects the card as a Vanta LT which is on the case
At the moment it's detected as a PCI VGA graphics card
Every reboot the add hardware wizard comes up and states there is a problem with the graphics and to update the driver...... :angry

I have tried removing the card from the hardware list under windows & rebooting and getting it to redetect it & reinstall.....

:badpc:

:help:

pctek
27-07-2006, 09:46 AM
The pc that the boys play on dropped the resolution on the display the other day and three days of assorted rollbacks, reboots, reinstalls, etc has gone nowhere.

It's a Compaq Presario 5000 series desktop model number 5WV350 running Windows ME with 256meg ram and the video card according to the sticker on the side of the case is a 8Mb NVidia LT 2x AGP
l
Hmm. Boys. Play. Games. 8Mb 2x AGP.
Give up and upgrade. This won't cope with much anyway in the way of games.
And don't get another "brand".

EX-WESTY
27-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Hmm. Boys. Play. Games. 8Mb 2x AGP.
Give up and upgrade. This won't cope with much anyway in the way of games.
And don't get another "brand".

Yeah it wasn't going to stay here much longer, it was just about on the for sale block as I just purchased a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and already sold the old laptop off... The Compaq was too be next out the door.

The trouble is they both want to play Runscape @ the same time, one uses the P4 desktop and the other now hasn't anywhere to play except he's making noises about using "My" new Laptop :eek:

Now to get that Compaq ( Comment censored ) running so I can kick it out the door

Shortcircuit
27-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Have a look in display properties and see if the monitor is listed as 'generic' plug and play or a brand name one. ie mine is listed as Samsung 193p. If it's a generic it could be your problem. Have you got a separate disk for the monitor?

I had this happen to me a few years back... hard to recall but I think it was resolved by uninstalling monitor and loading the profile for the correct branded monitor.

Someone else might be able to be a bit more specific if you get stuck. ;)

tweak'e
27-07-2006, 05:20 PM
use the older nvida drivers. btw have you installed the motherboard drivers. unfortunatly brand name pc's sometimes load muiltable brand drivers which can cause lots of fun when the OS picks the wrongs ones!

EX-WESTY
27-07-2006, 06:51 PM
All the drivers are supposed to be on the Compaq recovery disks that came with it. :xmouth:

The monitor point raised above is interesting, it detected it as the correct model last night, today after removing the card and reinstalling it and the display driver it shows as unknown. :confused:

I installed a Vanta LT driver from a compaq service pack this afternoon and the farking pc locks up on reboots and has to have the plug pulled.... Grrr back into safe mode to remove what should be a correct driver. :mad:

I never bought this PC it was donated to me and the way it's going I'm glad I never bought a compaq laptop the other week either.

SolMiester
27-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Sounds to me like windows knows what the card is, has loaded the correct driver, however the hardware has failed causing the lock out. Generic drivers wouldn't access the full hardware functions as they dont know them therefore the card works in simple 2d low res.

If the Vanta LT chip on the video card is faulty, that would explain why it dropped in the 1st place.

Therefore, you need a replacement, however make sure its only 2 x AGP, as current models run on different voltage.