PDA

View Full Version : Bluescreen after virus

dingfelder
26-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately I got a virus.
AVG found it (Generic2.GNY???) which it then removed but it did something to my windows firewall so that it would not start.

I am running XP Pro SP2 on a compaq presario r3000 laptop

Researching the error messages, I found a post that said the registery was hacked.

MS provides a registry cleanup script to fix it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074/en-us

I ran the reg file and restarted my pc, and could indeed use the firewall again.
I did a full antivirus sweep and made sure my system was clean.

Unfortunately, since then I am experiencing one very annoying issue:

If I log out and then re-log in again as my user or any other user, it crashes with a blue screen, giving the error

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 f8357c00.

This does not occur with normal windows startup, only if I log out and then relogin.

Thoughts?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2006, 11:15 PM
It maybe a driver thats screwed or corrupted.

Does the blue screen give the name of a driver / file?

Have you installed any hardware recently?

dingfelder
26-07-2006, 11:25 PM
It maybe a driver thats screwed or corrupted.

Does the blue screen give the name of a driver / file?

Have you installed any hardware recently?

No new hardware or software, other than the unintentional virus.

The BSOD does also mention ndis.sys at the bottom I noticed.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I would say thats what's crashing your system.

It may have something to do with your network card / modem drivers.

A file for this maybe corrupted. Try reinstalling the network card /modem drivers, or see if there's an updated version of the drivers on the maker's site and reinstall them.

Are u on dialup or broadband?

dingfelder
26-07-2006, 11:52 PM
network / modem drivers might be a bit more than straightforward, as the laptop has 3 portions that might apply:

normal LAN
wireless (Wifi) lan
modem

All 3 are different vendors of course, to make it tougher :)

I guess I will go look through the compaq website and see what I can find.

:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Does it crash whether you're on or offline??

And are u networked wirelessly or by ethernet to another PC?

dingfelder
27-07-2006, 12:11 AM
only time it ever crashes is if I log out and then back in (crashes as soon as you click in the password field to relogin)

I am connected via the wifi so if I had to guess that is the one it would be.

I still have a suspicion that could is related the the ms SharedAccess codethat gets called via the Windows Firewall service that the SharedAccess.reg file "fixed". I'm thinking that this area could get called in the logout portion ? :confused:

my normal lan driver does get hit as well, as XP does check to see if my network cable is plugged in (but I almost always go wifi so it always shows as disconnected)

The modem driver (I assume) doesn't get called since I dont use dialup.

SurferJoe46
27-07-2006, 05:09 AM
You might try shutting down the lan driver and modem driver.

Disable them to make it less of a drag on resourses; do this in Safe Mode so there's no protest from them and try to reboot normally and see if it was a conflict of some sort. Remove the icons on the bar too.

BSOD's over interrupts and IRQ issues are hard to resolve....meaning you usually have to drop one service at a time and try try try again.

I also saw this problem a long long time ago when there was an "end-runtime" problem, but I think that was mostly resolved in updates and hotfixes. Kinda sounds like this might be an area to investigate too. I believe it was an SP-2 resolution.

Again, this probably was the results of a virus or some other malware. Moving ports and IRQ's is just a fun thing for them to do........