PDA

View Full Version : iPod Issue

gibler
26-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a iPod (20 GB) that shows a sad face upon startup and in dsik mode it isn't showing up as a useable filesystem.

It sounds as though the hard drive is dying to me with strange thunking noises.
Is hard drive death quite common with these things? Does a reset or restore really help in this situation..

Anyone with experience of iPod troubleshooting?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Go here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61771)

You have to restore the Ipod.

ace317
26-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I, myself am in a situation where i can't seem to open my ipod. Isn't there a way to retrieve my files without having to restore? I wouldn't want to erase all my files.

Greg
26-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Sell it and buy a decent player, eg something by Creative.

winmacguy
26-12-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a iPod (20 GB) that shows a sad face upon startup and in dsik mode it isn't showing up as a useable filesystem.

It sounds as though the hard drive is dying to me with strange thunking noises.
Is hard drive death quite common with these things? Does a reset or restore really help in this situation..

Anyone with experience of iPod troubleshooting?

If all else fails you could take it into your nearest Apple tech support store

MagnumMac (Dunedin)
80 Crawford St,
Dunedin 9001
03 4771166

plod
26-12-2006, 05:15 PM

unfortunitly Greg, if it is the HDD, it won't matter what brand of player you have as it probably the same brand hdd.

If it's making a horrible clicking noise consider the HDD nackered, this happened to mine after dropping it from various heights

Billy T
27-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I, myself am in a situation where i can't seem to open my ipod. Isn't there a way to retrieve my files without having to restore? I wouldn't want to erase all my files.
It is best to keep a copy of all your files on your computer (or a DVD) in case this happens. It is much better than having to reassemble all those files again.

Treat it like a computer and back up regularly.

Cheers

Billy *<8-{)=

plod
27-12-2006, 04:23 PM

All your files should still be on computer in the iTunes library as an iPod only mirrors your itunes library, this done for copyright reasons so you can't go out stealing music off other computers without erasing whats already on the ipod. however there are ways around this

rogerp
27-12-2006, 06:45 PM

I would never buy a creative product again, after purchasing a very expensive soundblaster card, which kept causing problems with the computers I tried it on. They then told me that it didn't fully support windows 2000 (this was when windows 2000 had been out for at least a year, and it saying that it worked on win2000 on the box). I also found trhat many other people had had the same problem with the same creative model, so it wasn't an isolated issue.
At least ipods have a large customer base, so if their is a defect in them, you are likely to find the issue easily with an internet search.
The only other player I would consider is the Zune, however there are DRM and software glithces they need to fix on it before I would consider it.

trinsic
27-12-2006, 10:03 PM
When mine did this and started clicking I gave it a wack on the bottom when turning it on to give the hdd a little push. It's probably just stuck but don't expect it to last much longer.

I got 4 more months when I did it. Apple quoated me a new HDD before doing it. I may as well have just bought a new one.

Jams
28-12-2006, 01:48 AM

agree 100%. i find discmans are better than iPod's