PDA

View Full Version : UBUNTU Residue

IanS
26-07-2006, 02:39 PM
In order to have a look at UBUNTU I loaded it on to an old computer that I use as a plaything [CPU 233, RAM 160, HD 3Gz] I found it not user friendly so decided to remove it. I did not think to look for 'uninstall' but used 'fdisk' to format the drive. The main part of the drive formatted OK but UBUNTU makes a partition called 'Master Boot Record'. I am left with this partition and cannot find a way of getting rid of it. I cannot find any way of accessing it.
Using fdisk "Display Partition Information", this partition is described as C:2 type EXT DOS. The extended partition contains Logical DOS Drives. When it is asked to display the Logical DOS Drive info it says "No Logical Drives Defined"
Someone wrote in a post to Press F1 that entering at A:/ fdisk/MBR will clear it but that does not work for me. MS support describe in an article the exact problem but their cure does not work either.
Has anyone got a bright idea about getting rid of this partition??

Myth
26-07-2006, 02:48 PM
From memory the command is fdisk /mbr
If you have any tools like partition magic (or parted on a Linux liveCD) you can also kill the offending partition with that. IIRC (been a while since I had that problem)

Graham L
26-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Ubuntu doesn't make a partition called Master Boot record. That's the first sector on a disk, and it's used by the BIOS in the boot process. It's the one sector which can always be found. ;) Ubuntu will have written code for its boot manager into it, but "fdisk /MBR" should have fixed that by replacing the MS stuff. XP has a way to do that too.

FDISK is a partitioner, not a formatter. ;)

An extended partition can't be normally deleted until any logical partitions in it have been deleted. It's odd that they don't appear to be there.

Try using the live CD version of Ubuntu if you have it. It has a partitioner which might be able to fix things. (The command line ones I have used are called fdisk and cfdisk ... there might be parted too.)

IanS
30-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Belated thanks for replies. From another source I obtained a small program named "Super fdisk". This solved the problem by wiping the entire HD but with more care it may have been possible to just wipe the unwanted partition. It is a free program which can be found and downloaded from the internet. It is small enough to fit on a floppy.
IanS