PDA

View Full Version : woosh buys quicksilver

thomas09
25-07-2006, 08:33 PM
i had a quick look and no other threads. but woosh wireless yesterday announced that it has bought/will buy quicksilver. so maybe that means they can lower the price of ADSL and we (woosh customers) might be able to switch to ADSL without having to pay an early disconnection fee

stu161204
25-07-2006, 09:10 PM
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=71022 ;)

tooo slow :D

thomas09
25-07-2006, 09:16 PM
aw man... i think woosh was kind of forced to buy someone out because of the LLU

alasta
25-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Woosh obviously realise that they won't be able to improve the performance of their existing wireless offering in the forseeable future. UMTS-TDD doesn't appear to have a very reassuring roadmap, and it looks like obtaining spectrum to offer WiMax is going to be an uphill battle.

With Woosh now having an ADSL alternative for customers who are dissatisfied with the performance of their wireless service, they will be able to control the risk of haemorrhaging customers in the short term. They can then convert those ADSL customers back to wireless if and when their technology is up to it.

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of Woosh customers choose Woosh to avoid the $40 per month charge for the use of Telecom's copper. That makes me wonder if Quicksilver will be one of the first ISPs to offer naked ADSL.

stu161204
25-07-2006, 11:05 PM
That makes me wonder if Quicksilver will be one of the first ISPs to offer naked ADSL.

I think it may go something like this

Orcon > ihug > Quicksilver/Woosh > other isps….

Or it could go

Orcon/ihug ( That depends if orcon buys ihug) > Quicksilver/Woosh > other isps…..

chiefnz
26-07-2006, 08:18 AM
aw man... i think woosh was kind of forced to buy someone out because of the LLU

According to the article in yesterday's NZ Herald, Woosh had a $70 million debt. Buying Quicksilver may have been the only way to keep investors interested in Woosh and of course they have the added wired internet product they can offer, which may help to stem a drop in wireless internet sales.

Cheers
chiefnz

thomas09
26-07-2006, 08:41 AM
yeah i will most likely switch to the ADSL. they have pretty much given up on WiMax.

paulw
26-07-2006, 09:24 AM
According to the article in yesterday's NZ Herald, Woosh had a $70 million debt. Buying Quicksilver may have been the only way to keep investors interested in Woosh and of course they have the added wired internet product they can offer, which may help to stem a drop in wireless internet sales.

Cheers
chiefnz
So by buying another IPS and putting yourself more in debt will make the shareholders happy??

MAC_H8ER
26-07-2006, 01:01 PM
thats good to hear i guess - but i will have to stick to wireless as using dialup on our phone lines is impossible and we live too far away from our exchange for adsl - and i must admit the speed ive been getting latley is been really poor even though we have been "upgraded to 1.5mb speeds" its honestly close enough to dial up and the woosh tower we connect to is 3 km away :mad: