PDA

View Full Version : USB has mind of its own

dzina
25-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

I have a laptop that has USB ports which seem to have a mind of their own!!

I have plugged in a USB KB and in 1 port it just wont go but in the other it goes (not 100% but will get to that). I have plugged in a 4 port hub (have tried with and without power adaptor) and the KB will not function if the hub is plugged into the non working port (which is to be expected I guess) but does function if hub in good port. I know the USB ports are both OK as other devices (printer, mouse) work fine. The other freaky things are the KB when plugged in for the first time it is detected as a USB root hub but if you unplug it and re plug it it is detected as a KB.
Also it misses letters and repeats letters (no not my typing or sleeping on KB!!:)). Have tried another KB (same type) with same results. Both KB's are 100% fine in another laptop.

Almost like some driver is required but nothing came with KB??

System is Compaq laptop XP H SP2 and updated with latest patches etc.

pctek
25-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Try another keyboard.

dzina
26-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Try another keyboard.

Have done that (hence the bit about "Have tried another KB (same type) with same results" in my original post)

I could go and try another brand but I am looking at solving the problem, not working around it. There is nothing wrong with either KB when used on other systems.

If anyone has any real ideas I would love to hear them.