PDA

View Full Version : I'm in need if some real help

louiebluey
25-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Hey all!

I have a computer which I'va had for about 5 yrs now. It has a 1yr old motherboard, processor and RAM in it, whereas everything is as old as it should be. My problem is I had a stop error message come up on my screen a few nights ago saying Beginning Dump of Physical Memory. I shut it off as soon as I saw the message. Since then I've tried accessing the hard drive with no luck. I went out and bought a brand new one the other day and when I try to format it, it says something along the lines of "Was unable to formate the drive. The drive may be damaged". I've also tried re-formatting the old one and it just stops to a dead halt when it tries to load windows in the setup. I am running Windows XP Home on the old harddrive but want to put Professional on the new one and old one if possible. Can someone please tell me what I can do to solve this problem? I've had a computer tech look at it and he can't determine a problem. I have not put any new hardware or software into it. Please help!

Thanks

Myth
25-07-2006, 04:07 AM
Without knowing the rest of the message, one can only take a wild stab at possible reasons.
Have you swapped any hardware with known good hardware (i.e. RAM, grafix card, so on)?
When you had an Operating Sytem, were you gaming at all? Have the latest drivers etc.
Specs may help too please (brand of hardware, how much (RAM) etc)

The_End_Of_Reality
25-07-2006, 08:07 AM
I am guessing you are unable to get into Windows, have you tried slaving the old HDD in another PC?

Usually I find out what the message says and what the cause is before rushing to format, I realise it went too fast to read, here is how to stop that (stops automatic restarting when it BSODs) cliclk start, right click my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery settings, uncheck automatically restart under system failure.

You can put XP Pro on there, but you will need to go and but a legit copy.

What are the specs of it, RAM, CPU etc...

As to the cause, you have not changed anything, so it could have just been Windows having a cry, or it could be something on its way out... possible HDD. As I said before, try slaving it into another machine and run something like check disk, or go to the manufacturers website and DL the testing program.

Oh BTW welcome to PF1 :thumbs:

pctek
25-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey all!
My problem is I had a stop error message come up on my screen a few nights ago saying Beginning Dump of Physical Memory.

I've had a computer tech look at it and he can't determine a problem.
What - a real tech? Or one of those "knows all about computers" cowboys?
Any real tech could work out your problem from the STOP error.
You need to make a note of the exact message, including any error numbers and then it gives you a starting point. As the others have said already.....