PDA

View Full Version : DVD+RW

bk T
23-07-2006, 02:53 AM
I cannot format this imation DVD+Rw. Tried on at least 3 pcs, all unable to format this DVD rewritable disk. It's brand new.

Nero is able to recognise it but not Windows explorer. How do I format it so that I can use it in Windows Explorer?

Cheers

Vince
23-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Assuming that your DVD burner is +RW compliant, open 'My Computer' right click the icon for your DVD burner and select 'Format'.

CYaBro
23-07-2006, 09:09 AM
You need to have software install to format a DVD+RW or -RW.
Nero has InCD which you may need to install.
Windows Explorer won't see the disc until you have formated it with this software.

bk T
23-07-2006, 02:58 PM
You need to have software install to format a DVD+RW or -RW.
Nero has InCD which you may need to install.
Windows Explorer won't see the disc until you have formated it with this software.

Doesn't Windows have this FORMAT function? Or, could it be the Disc itself (the whole lot of 10 pcs) is faulty?

Cheers

godfather
23-07-2006, 03:10 PM
You never need to format any -RW disk, unless you intend using it for "packet writing", in which case you need to install the software of your choice in order to use this non-standard format for the media.

Using packet writing is, in my experience, about the most unreliable method of storage invented.

The RW stands for ReWritable, where the disk can be erased and reused as new. It does not stand for Read/Write, as in a floppy or a hard drive.

XP's built-in burner software also does not handle DVD's, only CD's.

Vince
23-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Doesn't Windows have this FORMAT function? Or, could it be the Disc itself (the whole lot of 10 pcs) is faulty?

Cheers

Windows XP does have packet writing software included but I am not familiar with it. Watch out for INCD, my computer hated it. Others on this forum have also had trouble with it. See a lengthy thread on the subject here.
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=62115&highlight=incd

godfather
24-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Windows XP does have packet writing software included but I am not familiar with it. Watch out for INCD, my computer hated it. Others on this forum have also had trouble with it.

Despite some info on the internet that tends to support that theory, I don't believe it is the case.

The following is actually more correct from here:
http://www.willowsoft.com/backup/err_write.html
"Windows XP has more support for CD-RW drives than earlier versions of Windows, but it does NOT include packet writing. It includes "mastering" software, where you collect copies of all the files you want to write to a "holding area" on your hard disk, and then you've collected everything the whole collection is written at once"

and from here:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,58724,00.asp
"Windows XP's software lacks a packet-writing driver for writing files to and erasing them from CD-RW discs in real time".

Unless you don't really need the file, in my opinion don't use packet writing software....

Vince
24-07-2006, 02:29 AM
My apologies. Godfather is right about XP not having packet writing ability after all.