PDA

View Full Version : 2 Broadband accounts, one telephone/DSL?

d00zer
22-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, i have two broadband accounts.

One is Worldnet 2mbps/30gb cap (parents home) and the other one is Xtra 3.5mbps/5gb cap (my apartment)

My sisters and brothers only use up to abt 10-15gig a month max, and since i am quite a heavy user 5gb is clearly not enough for me (i cant afford to pay anymore)

Just wondering if i can log in to my parents account and do some heavy downloading during the night, and then disconnect in the morning?

Just a few questions regarding this:
1. Is the usage determined by how much information is going through your phone/dsl line or your ISP?

2. Will my parents DSL be cut off temporarily if i connect from my apartment? Will my ISP charge xtra? Will it reconnect itself?

Thank You

developer
22-07-2006, 01:15 AM
an ADSL account can only be used on the telephone line associated
to it, so you cannot use your family's ADSL account in your own place.

Hey guys, i have two broadband accounts.

One is Worldnet 2mbps/30gb cap (parents home) and the other one is Xtra 3.5mbps/5gb cap (my apartment)

My sisters and brothers only use up to abt 10-15gig a month max, and since i am quite a heavy user 5gb is clearly not enough for me (i cant afford to pay anymore)

Just wondering if i can log in to my parents account and do some heavy downloading during the night, and then disconnect in the morning?

Just a few questions regarding this:
1. Is the usage determined by how much information is going through your phone/dsl line or your ISP?

2. Will my parents DSL be cut off temporarily if i connect from my apartment? Will my ISP charge xtra? Will it reconnect itself?

Thank You

bk T
22-07-2006, 04:37 AM
You may use more than one account on the same telephone line. Of course, the said phone line must have ADSL activated. I have used it many times.

Just try it yourself. Good luck.

Laura
22-07-2006, 05:23 AM
You may use more than one account on the same telephone line. Of course, the said phone line must have ADSL activated. I have used it many times.

Just try it yourself. Good luck.

Of course, that's after you've asked permission of your parents - the bill-payers.
They need to know what you're doing.
Otherwise, you could end up with major embarrassment if there was a problem with the connection while you were using it.
And only you know how that would go down...

Greg
22-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Pretty sure that's wrong (no guarantees though). As far as I'm aware any use of an adsl account will be billed to the phone line it's used on. Therefore logging in with his parents' account will still be deducted from his own bandwidth.

developer
22-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Each ADSL account is hardwired to one telephone line,
you have an ADSL device on your end, your ISP has another
device which works with yours to give you network access
on their end.

That is why before you move your house, you have to
to ask your ISP if your next house can have ADSL, and
disable your current connection and enable the new one,
and usually you have to pay some fees.

So I dont think you can use your family's account in your
own place (because the two places are on different telephone
lines). You can have a try, but what you may get is your ADSL
moderm keeps trying logging into the network but you have
no access.

For more details, you can have a look at how ADSL works and
this FAQ:
http://support.curl.com.au/moving.ci

linw
22-07-2006, 03:47 PM
You can login another adsl account to your adsl enabled phone socket. I have done it several times when testing client's modem setups.

Also, by mistake I sent a modem to my sister in another town but forgot to overwrite my account details in the modem with hers. Took a couple of weeks before I realised it so for this time we were both connected to my account!! So, at least with IHUG, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for detecting a double login.

developer
22-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Sorry guys I made a mistake.

I have just heard that whether you can use your ADSL account
on another telephone line depends on the configuration of the
service provider. And in NZ the configuration allows using the same
ADSL account on different telephone lines.

d00zer
23-07-2006, 08:42 PM
so can someone out there supply me witha simple yes or no? lol

gibler
23-07-2006, 09:04 PM
so can someone out there supply me witha simple yes or no? lol

Well it depends on policies etc, so they only way of knowing for sure is to ring the ISPs involved. I had a work mate who tried this but the problem was that usage was tied to phone line, so even though you could login correctly etc the account associated with the phone line continued to accumulate MBs...

Maybe you should just set up VPN, VNC, SSH access into a PC on your parent's PC so you can initiate downloads during the night..

quarry
23-07-2006, 09:39 PM
an ADSL account can only be used on the telephone line associated
to it, so you cannot use your family's ADSL account in your own place.

Incorrect. I test my clients ADSL equipment, PC etc - use their account & modem on my line - with their permission of course.

developer
23-07-2006, 09:45 PM
You are right, that is incorrect. In a later message, I corrected that.

Incorrect. I test my clients ADSL equipment, PC etc - use their account & modem on my line - with their permission of course.

Safari
23-07-2006, 09:57 PM
You people are going around in circles.
Most ISP's are connecting customers with UBS accounts which can only be used on the phone line and number that Telcom have configured the account for as it is ported and tunnelled by Telecom to that ISP and will not login if tried from another phone number.

The situation may be different for Xtra customers.

linw
23-07-2006, 11:04 PM
All I can say, Safari, is that that isn't true for either IHUG or XTRA accounts. My sister has logged into my IHUG acct from another town and I have run modems with XTRA accounts from my place. Perhaps you need to further define "most ISP's" to stop us from going round in circles.

berryb
23-07-2006, 11:47 PM
It is simple to answer. In the old days of Broadband the answer was YES. You could use any broadband account from any braodband connected line. Now with UBS accounts this may work or may not depend on the setup for each ISP. Simply try it and see if works for you or not. You will not break anything!!

linw
24-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Good info and good advice!!

pubudu
31-01-2009, 09:51 AM
You can login another adsl account to your adsl enabled phone socket. I have done it several times when testing client's modem setups.

Also, by mistake I sent a modem to my sister in another town but forgot to overwrite my account details in the modem with hers. Took a couple of weeks before I realised it so for this time we were both connected to my account!! So, at least with IHUG, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for detecting a double login.

can u tell me the way to overwrite account details in modems???Thnx:clap

FoxyMX
31-01-2009, 04:23 PM
can u tell me the way to overwrite account details in modems???Thnx:clap

Open the modem's home page, find the account settings page and overwrite with the account name and password you require.

pubudu
31-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Open the modem's home page, find the account settings page and overwrite with the account name and password you require.

thnx..could you explain it more I'm using Prolink (Hurricane 9601 USB )ADSL Modem..

Safari
31-01-2009, 09:37 PM
thnx..could you explain it more I'm using Prolink (Hurricane 9601 USB )ADSL Modem..

You should have an "AccessRunner DSL” icon on your desktop.
You can open it aad change the username and password for your connection