PDA

View Full Version : Wireless signal boost

DeSade
21-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I need to boost the signal from my wireless access point.

I do not need to extend the range, just make the signal stronger, I have a fair but of electrical interference that cannot be moved between the access point and the area where the laptop is too be used.

Any ideas how or what I can use to do this?

developer
22-07-2006, 12:02 AM
try removing metal objects away from the access point, try not
put the access point on floor or besides wall

you can also use a wireless repeater

I need to boost the signal from my wireless access point.

I do not need to extend the range, just make the signal stronger, I have a fair but of electrical interference that cannot be moved between the access point and the area where the laptop is too be used.

Any ideas how or what I can use to do this?

DeSade
22-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Access port is in the best place I can locate it

high off ground approx 1 meter from ceiling and 1 meter from wall.
Sits up there alone, nothing else is anywhere near it.

developer
22-07-2006, 12:12 AM
You can try use an antenna which only sends signal to one direction,
instead of sends to all directions.

can also try different wireless channel.

have a look see if any of your other devices uses similar frequency.

Access port is in the best place I can locate it

high off ground approx 1 meter from ceiling and 1 meter from wall.
Sits up there alone, nothing else is anywhere near it.

Graham L
22-07-2006, 01:50 PM
If there is severe interference from a point on your wireless path, you are unlikely to be able to get enough "boost" to overcome it.

Directional antennae might help in working above or around the noise. You might even be able to use a "bent" path around the interference source (with a reflector on a side wall). An axe used on the interference source would probably be much more effective.

Another approach would be to use a (long?) Ethernet cable to the Access Point from one computer, so the AP can be in a better place.

DeSade
22-07-2006, 02:18 PM
If there is severe interference from a point on your wireless path, you are unlikely to be able to get enough "boost" to overcome it.

Directional antennae might help in working above or around the noise. You might even be able to use a "bent" path around the interference source (with a reflector on a side wall). An axe used on the interference source would probably be much more effective.

Another approach would be to use a (long?) Ethernet cable to the Access Point from one computer, so the AP can be in a better place.

The fuse box of the house (so that eliminates the axe idea) is between the access point and the lounge, which is where the laptop is to be used mostly.

In order to get the access point past the fuse box I would have to run a cable most of the lenth of the house and that defeats the purpose of wireless in the first place

godfather
22-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Your problem is not one of "electrical interference" in that regard, but one of the cabling running to and from the switchboard acting as a localised metal shield for the signal.

Same in this house, relocating the airpoint so that the "line of sight" is not through the rats nest of cables in the wall is the only way I can overcome it.

Graham L
22-07-2006, 02:40 PM
You shouldn't be getting RF interference from your switchboard. Perhaps if it's a metal box, and your AP is close enough to it you are getting shielding. But your reference to "most of the length of the house" seems to rule that out. Have you got foil backed wall lining? That could give problems to RF.

How is the AP attached to the "non-laptop"? Is it wired, or wireless? If it's wireless, can it be moved "sideways" or towards the laptop area? Possibly a position in a hallway would allow the signals to get through doors, rather than (not) through walls.

You'll probably have to experiment ... but I doubt if more power would be the answer (anyway when measured in the (legally allowed) milliwatts, rather than watts).

DeSade
22-07-2006, 02:42 PM
So by moving the access point over one room so the "line of sight" isn't through the fusebox that will fix the problem?

Thats only a extra 10m of cable, and limited hassle.

Graham L
22-07-2006, 02:56 PM
It's certainly worth trying. ;) Of course there's no guarantee. We're not there, but shielding does seem the most likely culprit. Whether it's caused by wires or foil backed Gib board there will be a way around it.

DeSade
22-07-2006, 03:01 PM
How is the AP attached to the "non-laptop"? Is it wired, or wireless? If it's wireless, can it be moved "sideways" or towards the laptop area? Possibly a position in a hallway would allow the signals to get through doors, rather than (not) through walls.

Its attached via cable to the dsl modem which is attached via cable to the desktop computer. there is very little room to move here but I do have 30m or so of cat5 so I "could" move the access point a couple rooms over to avoid the fuse box being in the "line of sight"

The house is fairly old, 70's I would say, did they use foil-gib back then?

somebody
22-07-2006, 04:51 PM
I remember someone posting here that the best place to put the AP is in the roof space: so if you can drill a hole in the ceiling, and put the AP in the roof space somewhere, it won't be going through the switchboard to get to where you want the signal to go.

jenae
23-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, this depends on your budget these ethernet over power cable do work, takes a bit of fiddling with the right access point and boosts signal as well. I have installed them in many larger double brick homes on Sydney's North Shore.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/Networking/eop.php?PHPSESSID=n3e5c218qqifju4vfm7ft9dmb25pwe8h