PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Recovery Issues

JasonM
21-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Lately I have been having issues with my HD dropping core windows files, occasionally making me do a Windows Recovery by booting from the CD. However recently it will get up to about 83%, and it will not copy the files obdc16gt.dll, obdc32gt.dll and obcd.exe. All other files copy fine except for these three, and I can not get my installion to work because of it. A clean re-install causes the same problem. I have not yet tried to format the hard-drive as there are files I need there, but because of this can not access.

Computer Specs:
1.6gHz AMD Duron
256mb DDR Ram
S3/Unichrome IGP
47Gb HD (unsure of type)

chiefnz
21-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Not meaning to insinuate anything but I assume this is a legit copy of Windows?

Mate of mine had the same problem, tried to help him but discovered he was using a warez version of XP Pro.

Have you tried installing Windows to another HDD. It could be your HDD dying.

cheers

chiefnz

JasonM
21-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes, its a legit version. It came with the computer. I don't have another HDD to put into the computer, but I will try to to a install on another computer and let you know how it goes. I am just confused as to why it can copy every file except for those 3.

JasonM
21-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Also something I forgot to mention. Occasionally when I started up the computer, I would get a error saying 'Windows key file missing...WINDOWS/system32/config/system. please re-install' This has happened a few time before now.

pctek
21-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I'd be suspicious of your HDD too.
Time for a new one? What make is it? Download the tools from the manufacturers website and run a check on it.