PDA

View Full Version : Sharing interent connection with 2 XP profiles on same PC

mikewazowski
20-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone, here is my problem and I would be eternally grateful if someone could help:

I use XP and my profile has Admin rights and I can connect to the internet with absolutely no qualms whatsoever and am free to roam about and use MSN and all sorts.
However, I have since created a new user profile for my girlfriend on the same computer with just the basic rights and although she is able to fire up IE and get an outside internet connection, nothing actually works. I.e. she can launch her homepage (which is MSN), and get to Google should she type it in the address bar, but typing any other website address does absolutely nothing - it just stays at the MSN page. It does no harm - it doesn't freeze IE or crash the computer or anything, it just refuses to go anywhere with no error message and no status bar or nothing. In turn, if she types in Google which as mentioned directs the net to the Google site, a search will not produce any results neither. It is totally weird and has left me and all my friends scratching our heads !!
I have tried giving her Admin rights but this makes no difference. The exact same problem occurrs with the 'Guest' account we have switched on too.

I have tried switching all the settings on that I have been advised as if I was sharing an interent connection over a LAN but this has made no difference whatsoever.
Our interent connection is through a cable company's modem which I access via a wireless router.

Please please please can somebody out there help me, I'm begging you?

Thanks

UPDATE:

Somehow (don't ask me how!! - I think it was something to do with installing the Blueyonder Telewest CD on my girlfriend's profile which must've configured her Internet Options in some way) I have made a bit of progress on this fault.
I am now able to get to other sites by typing the addresses in but not able to go directly to sites within them. For example, I am able to go to www.bbc.co.uk if I type it in, but typing in www.bbc.co.uk/football just does the normal 'sit there and do nothing' trick. However, this time I am able to navigate around the site by clicking the links on the homepage, so for example I can get to the Football subsidary of the BBC site by clicking on the relevant links to get me there, but not if I try to go directly by typing the address (www.bbc.co.uk/football) in the navigation bar in IE.
Also, Google is still not displaying any results when attempting a search.

Any ideas folks ?

Cheers

SolMiester
20-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Have you uninstall the blueyoder internet settings?.

If you are on a cable router/modem arent the internet username pw etc all held on the modem/router, therefore no internet setting are require by users as they all use the default gateway of the router/modem.

A quick solution of course is to copy your profile down on top of her to set your setting up, then delete any e-mail/files etc from her profile, or delete her profile and start again.

mikewazowski
26-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Have you uninstall the blueyoder internet settings?.

If you are on a cable router/modem arent the internet username pw etc all held on the modem/router, therefore no internet setting are require by users as they all use the default gateway of the router/modem.

A quick solution of course is to copy your profile down on top of her to set your setting up, then delete any e-mail/files etc from her profile, or delete her profile and start again.

Thanks for your reply.
I know it's a strange one isn't it.

How would I go about copying the profile over and then deleting them files please?

Thanks

hamstar
26-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Just make sure shes got all the files she doesn't want to delete and copy everything from your C:\Documents & Settings\Your Name folder to her C:\Documents & Settings\Your GF folder. Some files might not copy, but just make sure you click yes when asked if you want to copy hidden files.

Personally I wouldn't do this tho, i reckon stuff like that makes windows messy and unhappy. Try Linux! :D ..nah I would recommend a complete reinstall. its the only way to solve any strange windows error. hmmm...

SolMiester
26-07-2006, 09:46 AM
No no, you dont copy profiles that way!!!

Use the system icons ion control panel>advance>user profiles> then use the right button to copy/browse to user profile and copy.

Or delete her account and start again. New profile should be created from default profile which should have internet gateway settings sorted!

FoxyMX
26-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Or delete her account and start again.
Just be aware that deleting an account also deletes all the data within that account so remember to back it up elsewhere first.